Hydrometer cushion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
Looking for ideas that will overcome my clumsiness.
For my (yet another) NEXT hydrometer I'd like to insert some foam, rubber o-rings, etc. in the bottom of the glass holding tube so when I drop the hydrometer in it won't hit the bottom and shatter. Or glue something to the bottom end of the instrument itself.
Q. would that screw up the measuring?
Q. what could I use for cushioning?

Interesting question. I keep my main hydrometer in the plastic jar it came in. I've never felt like it was in danger of breaking from being put back into the tube.

If you glue something to the bottom, it won't affect your measurements, unless the hydrometer actually touches it (i.e. bottoms out). Just make sure to use a material and glue that are not water soluble once the glue cures.

Good points. Maybe I could cut some 1/4" thick styrofoam in rounds smaller than the tube so they will come out easily.

Unless it restricts the movement of the hydrometer, nothing sitting on the bottom is going to affect its readings...

Cheers!

Unless it restricts the movement of the hydrometer, nothing sitting on the bottom is going to affect its readings...

Cheers!

wouldn't it effect the weight of it? and thus bouyancy? he said glue some thing to the hydro itself, if i read it right?

Don't bother. Get one of these. I'm sure you could break it if you really tried, but it's made of plastic and will survive basic clumsiness.

There's another version that goes from 1.000 to 1.070. I really like it because it's so easy to read.

(In case these links break in the distant future, it's the Herculometer from Northern Brewer.)

Back