Hydro reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worpion

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA today and my Og was supposed to be 1060 but it was 1050 does that mean i got 90 percent efficiency

You'll need to plug your recipe into a calculator to make that determination. If you are not using a software, like BeerSmith, look at John Palmer's book, "How to Brew". He includes the efficiency calculations... you can try to build it. However... I recommend a recipe software that will calculate it for you.

http://howtobrew.com/book/introduction

I brewed an IPA today and my Og was supposed to be 1060 but it was 1050 does that mean i got 90 percent efficiency

No.

There is a bit about understanding efficiency in my signature. Might be useful to you.

attachment.php

In short no.
It means that you got a lower efficiency than forecasted on your recipe.

Not rying to be thick, but, did you cooled your sample to calibrated temperature of your ydrometer? There may be a few points difference.
If you are using a refractometer this does not apply.

You could have, but I doubt it. The only way you could have gotten 90% efficiency is if you ended up with much more volume. Same amount of sugar in more volume means less SG. If your volumes were correct then you would have gotten 83% efficiency, which is quite good for BIAB.

Efficiency is a measure of how much sugars you extracted from the grain vs. what is theoretically possible. Every grain has a points per pound per gallon (PPG) value, averaging around 37. This means that at 100% efficiency, 1lb of the grain will result in an SG of 1.037 in 1gal of water.

Example:
10 lb of 2-row, PPG of 37
7 gallons of mash water
1.040 SG after mash

10*37/1000/7+1 = 1.053 SG (100% efficiency)

(1-1.040) / (1-1.053) = 75% efficiency

Back