Huell Melon & El dorado Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
I have 200grams each and i haven't yet brewed with either type. Im guessing the El dorado will be more dominant/pungent than the Huell?

I was thinking of a bittering addition at 30mins and then a massive whirl pool at 70C followed by a big dry hop, any suggestions on ratios as i want a bit
of each hop to be there i the aroma and flavour.

Trying for a really fruity loop type of Pale ale.

cheers.

Last edited:
I am aiming for the same this weekend with El-dorado and Cashmere.

I would think EL-dorado if you are not careful will overpower the hull melon.

I went for cashmere for the lemon/lime quality. To me EL-Dorado mainly tastes if cherry candy, and lemon and spice are meant to be the conplimentry flavours to cherry.

If I where you I would start with maybe a 1:1 and hop very heavily

I would consider using a same amount of a citrus hop too help get the flavors to pop and not seem flat. Maybe 1:1:0.25

I haven't used Hull Melon, but have used El Dorado in a few beers that I have made. I have always wanted the cherry jolly rancher flavor that others describe but have never gotten it. Main flavor I would pick out is a combo of strawberry and watermelon, it's good but not cherry to my palate. I would also say that regardless of the flavors and what you combine with it seems to always leave a sweet flavor even with beers that finish dry.

Given the flavors I've gotten from El Dorado and the description of Hull (Honeydew and Strawberry) I think this would work, but might be a little one dimensional for some people's tastes. I tend to prefer PA's and IPA's that don't have 50 flavors and smells being thrown at me so I would run with what you have.

Given the AA's and Myrcene content of both I would lean toward a 2:1 ratio favoring the Hull, El Dorado looks to be around twice the AA and the Myrcene content is about 33% more.

Hull melon is fairly subtle in my experience. Pretty true to its descriptors, just need to double up to get what you are likely used to out of American aroma hops. Sounds like a tasty combo. Cheers.

Here is what I will be brewing up this weekend

11 lb Maris otter low colour
2lb pale wheat malt
0.5lb melanoidin malt
0.25lb golden naked oats
Warrior @60 mins to get 55IBU's
150g el dorado and 75g cashmere in 70C hopstand for 1 hour.

Ferment with WLP4000 (Vermont) at 17.5c ramping to 21c between days 3-5

75g el dorado and 38g cashmere dry hop on day 3 fermentation.

75 g el dorado and 38g cashmere dry hop at kegging

Water will be high sulfate low chloride for west coast style.

Thanks for all the replies guys, im now leaning towards the 2:1 ration in favour of Huell melon and now thinking i may ad in some Nelson i have, thinking that could be a good flavour component. Something like 2:1:.5
Huell/Dorado/Nelson.

:mug:

Back