HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://community.brewpi.com/t/solved-cant-seem-to-program-arduino-uno/1319/25?u=jimwu

If you have the CH340 usb controller chip like I do you have to add a line of code to the software so it will recognize the arduino.
Edit: I think we are talking about two different things. You're having issues with the relay board?

I'm having an issue with the sainsmart uno board. Or possibly the brewpi program. It looks like your vendor and product ID was not recognized in the original program so you added your id's into the code to make the program recognize your board. My id's are listed in the original code. They are 2431:0043 which I see listed in the original code already. My main issue is that the program does not recognize the devices that I have hooked into the Uno board.

I'm having an issue with the sainsmart uno board. Or possibly the brewpi program. It looks like your vendor and product ID was not recognized in the original program so you added your id's into the code to make the program recognize your board. My id's are listed in the original code. They are 2431:0043 which I see listed in the original code already. My main issue is that the program does not recognize the devices that I have hooked into the Uno board.
Ok. some of the things I have read about to check
Make sure your uno is powered with it's own power source
for the probes -make sure you have the correct resistor.
make sure a script is running then update devices on the maintenance screen.
were you able to load the script on to the uno board?

Ok. some of the things I have read about to check
Make sure your uno is powered with it's own power source
for the probes -make sure you have the correct resistor.

I have the Uno on its own power source. I have swapped USB. I also have the 4.7k resistor. The probes I have are able to read temps with the Uno board. I found a simple program that I loaded on the Uno and was able to get temps. Being able to load these programs and use the Uno and probes makes me wonder if it is not actually the board that is the problem. When I did the install on the rpi I noticed no errors and it seemed to go just like it should. I know I will get it eventually. Just need to find the right post that has the one fix I have not tried yet!

I have the Uno on its own power source. I have swapped USB. I also have the 4.7k resistor. The probes I have are able to read temps with the Uno board. I found a simple program that I loaded on the Uno and was able to get temps. Being able to load these programs and use the Uno and probes makes me wonder if it is not actually the board that is the problem. When I did the install on the rpi I noticed no errors and it seemed to go just like it should. I know I will get it eventually. Just need to find the right post that has the one fix I have not tried yet!
What's you're mode, beer screen in the upper left hand and corner look like?
that seems to be the pulse of the arduino.

What's you're mode, beer screen in the upper left hand and corner look like?
that seems to be the pulse of the arduino.

When I look at that I notice it says mode off and contains dashes for temps. If I hit beer constant and hit apply it will update to that mode and the desired temp will display on the right and the actual temp will be dashes. I can change the desired temp any hit apply and that will display.

When I look at that I notice it says mode off and contains dashes for temps. If I hit beer constant and hit apply it will update to that mode and the desired temp will display on the right and the actual temp will be dashes. I can change the desired temp any hit apply and that will display.
You're a few steps ahead of me in the process but it sounds like the controller and rpi are chooching skookum. you just got some pixies going in the wrong directions. I would check the connections between the probe and controller-- grab a beer and drink it --then check them again. Looks like the Pi and uno and brewpi software ain't the reason you're not chooching

Take a screenshot of the devices tab after you hit refresh, also make sure you scroll all the way down on that page the devices you seek may be all the way down at the bottom.

You're a few steps ahead of me in the process but it sounds like the controller and rpi are chooching skookum. you just got some pixies going in the wrong directions. I would check the connections between the probe and controller-- grab a beer and drink it --then check them again. Looks like the Pi and uno and brewpi software ain't the reason you're not chooching

Thank you for the suggestions! Hopefully soon it will be figured out!

Here are the screen shots after hitting refresh.

I never wired the original UNO up to anything else or loaded any other programs. "nebulous" said he had the same issue and it was the board. I just ordered another board (returned mine to Amazon) and the new one worked fine. Your screen shots on the devices list are exactly as mine were.

I never wired the original UNO up to anything else or loaded any other programs. "nebulous" said he had the same issue and it was the board. I just ordered another board (returned mine to Amazon) and the new one worked fine. Your screen shots on the devices list are exactly as mine were.

I will probably do the same thing since it seems that most likely it is the board.

His screen shots are exactly like everyone else's minus the not having the onewire devices show up. are you absolutely sure it's a 4.7k resistor and not a 470 ohm or something. sometimes we grab the wrong ones by accident because it is very easy to do. it is entirely possible for the ic to lose only analog function, but if you are able to use the test sketch like you said and have the probes active, I find it very hard to believe it's a faulty arduino.

Here are the screen shots after hitting refresh.

In that first picture it says you don't have any devices installed. Detected devices I do believe are hard coded in BrewPi but you have to select and apply them for them to be installed devices.

Go to the first post of this thread and go through the "Setup Devices" section if you haven't already. Any device you want to work needs to be in the installed section of your UNO device configuration panel.

In that first picture it says you don't have any devices installed. Detected devices I do believe are hard coded in BrewPi but you have to select and apply them for them to be installed devices.

Go to the first post of this thread and go through the "Setup Devices" section if you haven't already. Any device you want to work needs to be in the installed section of your UNO device configuration panel.

I have followed these directions. I am unable to find the one wire temps to be able to assign and hit apply.

His screen shots are exactly like everyone else's minus the not having the onewire devices show up. are you absolutely sure it's a 4.7k resistor and not a 470 ohm or something. sometimes we grab the wrong ones by accident because it is very easy to do. it is entirely possible for the ic to lose only analog function, but if you are able to use the test sketch like you said and have the probes active, I find it very hard to believe it's a faulty arduino.

I have double checked the resistor and it is definitely a 4.7k.

On a whim I tried to randomly install and assign and hit apply. Absolutely no change in the website interface or anything.

His screen shots are exactly like mine with the first board because mine didn't show the OneWire bus sensors. The second board did have them show up.

His screen shots are exactly like mine with the first board because mine didn't show the OneWire bus sensors. The second board did have them show up.

No duh. everyone will see that screen on first go except for the one-wire devices not being there. it means nothing. just that his temp probes are not being detected. it could be anything.

On a whim I tried to randomly install and assign and hit apply. Absolutely no change in the website interface or anything.

hmmm, if you haven't already, try resetting the Uno by pressing the reset button on the board and then re-flashing the hex code. I had to do that a couple times on one of my boards before it would take.

I have double checked the resistor and it is definitely a 4.7k.

Of course it is. Just as it was when you got the test sketch to work.

I wish I could provide some actual help here, but outside of a bad AVR, I have no idea what's causing your problem at this point.
And everything I would have done to troubleshoot it, you've done.

fwiw, I have six Sainsmart Uno R3 boards that have been running BrewPi for up to a year now.
But that doesn't preclude a defective AVR getting onto someone else's board...

No duh. everyone will see that screen on first go except for the one-wire devices not being there. it means nothing. just that his temp probes are not being detected. it could be anything.

Well, you automatically assume that people don't hit the "Refresh device list" button. However, even the hard coded devices don't show up unless you hit that button, so if anything comes up, that means the person in question hit that button.

Yes, we've established that his temp probes aren't being detected. We've also established that he used the right 4.7K resistor. However, two of us have already said that we've had exactly the same symptoms and output after hitting "Refresh device list," and both of us had bad Arduinos.

both of us had bad Arduinos.[/QUOTE said:
who were the vendors you bought the bad uno's from?Can you post a picture of the bad boards? Trying to see what the chips are on board.Maybe a bad board is just a faulty chip

I think your problem is with the one wire probes
A: not being hooked up correctly- vcc,gnd,data wires mixed up
B: not assigned to the correct pins as the software calls out or a faulty connection with in the circuity of those pins
C: incorrect power source to the uno controller
I wish I knew how to check the voltage at each pin on the uno board. that would tell you what's up real quick.

fyi, farmskis was able to test his one-wire probes on the same Uno using a test sketch.

That means his probes are good, his resistor is good, he knows how to hook up the wires, and - at least to that point - his Uno A4 pin works.
Why BrewPi can't seem to find the probes is the remaining issue.

It is possible there's some facility within the AVR that BrewPi exploits that wasn't used by the test sketch - about the only thing I can come up with (and even that's pretty weak)...

Cheers!

fyi, farmskis was able to test his one-wire probes on the same Uno using a test sketch.

That means his probes are good, his resistor is good, he knows how to hook up the wires, and - at least to that point - his Uno A4 pin works.
Why BrewPi can't seem to find the probes is the remaining issue.

It is possible there's some facility within the AVR that BrewPi exploits that wasn't used by the test sketch - about the only thing I can come up with (and even that's pretty weak)...

Cheers!
what would a under powered/ or reverse polarity uno show up as?

Right now I think I am going to order another board and just see whet the results are. If I am still having issues I will need to dive in a little deeper. I am confident in my wiring and the ability to follow the instructions. What I am not confident about is reading through the code and trying to decipher possible issues.

If 5V to the sensors is not connected, a sketch can still find them. BrewPi ignores parasitically powered sensors, because they cannot read a temperature reliably the way BrewPi configures them.

That would mean that either his 5v line is faulty (but then how did the parasitic power get there) or all his probes are miswired somehow? perhaps it's a bad avr but just because one or 2 people had bad boards doesn't mean everyone is getting bad boards, unless they are all coming from the same distributor. this lost arkitect guy apparently knows how all this works and he has all the answers. now everyone who installs brewpi will come here and realize that they just have a bad arduino and they need to buy another one. since you were able to find the probes in a test sketch and get everything else up and running to point that must be the answer, bad arduino. but what do I know I've just been helping people with these same issues for over a year and a half. excuse me if I try to get the obvious things out of the way first before I tell someone to waste their money...

If 5V to the sensors is not connected, a sketch can still find them. BrewPi ignores parasitically powered sensors, because they cannot read a temperature reliably the way BrewPi configures them.

That is a good point. The sketch may read it but it may be reading in parasite power mode. ( no for sure way to really check which mode it is getting power from in the sketch ) One possible way to somewhat check this would be to dismantle a temp sensor and physically check what the wires are going to for possible miswiring.

That would mean that either his 5v line is faulty (but then how did the parasitic power get there) or all his probes are miswired somehow? perhaps it's a bad avr but just because one or 2 people had bad boards doesn't mean everyone is getting bad boards, unless they are all coming from the same distributor. this lost arkitect guy apparently knows how all this works and he has all the answers. now everyone who installs brewpi will come here and realize that they just have a bad arduino and they need to buy another one. since you were able to find the probes in a test sketch and get everything else up and running to point that must be the answer, bad arduino. but what do I know I've just been helping people with these same issues for over a year and a half. excuse me if I try to get the obvious things out of the way first before I tell someone to waste their money...

I did check my 5v and I was getting 4.99 on my meter. Seems close enough for me since my meters accuracy is probably not less than 01. If my 5v is faulty you are correct in questioning where the power comes from. If it is in fact working like the meter says then the power would be feeding in through the resistor in the data line. but then to be parasite that would mean the vcc would need to be tied to the ground. I have a hard time believing they would run 3 M of an extra wire they didn't need to run when they would have tied the vcc to the ground right at the sensor. But who knows... I won't know until I take apart a probe and physically check what the wiring is. If the vcc is tied to the ground that will be one strange way to wire that sensor. It would be a mix of normal power mode and parasite mode. Quality control does lack in some of these cheap probes so you never know!
I do appreciate all the help from everyone on here. You bounce enough ideas around and eventually you will land on a solution!

I don't know how all this works at all. What I DO know is that I was able to get BrewPi loaded. I was able to get the script running. However, my OneWire bus didn't find the sensors.

To solve the problem, I checked my wiring multiple time, swapped out 4.7k resistors, swapped out to new sensors/probes, and still only received the hard coded devices on the list. I even checked the power coming from the 5V lead and got 4.99V.

What I also know is, that after doing all of that, your continual, ridiculous question/answer had always been, "Did you refresh devices list?"

So, nebulous and I both tried all the other given advice and he figured out that the Arduino was either bad or didn't have a bootloader on the chip. We both replaced our Arduinos (both SainSmart), rewired everything and viola, sensors were found.

Again, I'm no tech guy, but nebulous is. Since farmskis is having the same issues we had and tried the same resolutions, my advice would be to see if the board is bad. If not, he at least tried that and ruled it out.

I'm worried that people are going to come here for the exact same problems and be told to recheck the exact same stuff over and over because you don't want to admit it could be a bad board, since you didn't come up with that solution. I guess if you don't suggest it, then it can't be the right answer?!?

I did check my 5v and I was getting 4.99 on my meter. Seems close enough for me since my meters accuracy is probably not less than 01. If my 5v is faulty you are correct in questioning where the power comes from. If it is in fact working like the meter says then the power would be feeding in through the resistor in the data line. but then to be parasite that would mean the vcc would need to be tied to the ground. I have a hard time believing they would run 3 M of an extra wire they didn't need to run when they would have tied the vcc to the ground right at the sensor. But who knows... I won't know until I take apart a probe and physically check what the wiring is. If the vcc is tied to the ground that will be one strange way to wire that sensor. It would be a mix of normal power mode and parasite mode. Quality control does lack in some of these cheap probes so you never know!
I do appreciate all the help from everyone on here. You bounce enough ideas around and eventually you will land on a solution!

Well perhaps. but you cannot just go by color on those probes. ive seen some weird color schemes out there and no just because you have the same colors as someone else does does not mean it's wired the same way. but I would think that if it was wired backwards then you would be here asking why your arduino keeps resetting everytime you plug in the temp sensor. but that would only happen if you managed to cross voltage to ground.… this is a headache in the making. I remember getting my probes in with a green yellow red color scheme and one had green going to vcc another had green going to data… neither one had it going to ground. then I bought 5 more from a different seller with red yellow black…black was vcc yellow ground and red data. I have found better luck with wiring schemes through Amazon sellers, but it's still all up in the air. you are showing 5v on vcc that's a good thing, have you tried testing the voltage with the probes hooked up maybe the voltage is dropping at the point of contact, could be a bad regulator…

I don't know how all this works at all. What I DO know is that I was able to get BrewPi loaded. I was able to get the script running. However, my OneWire bus didn't find the sensors.

To solve the problem, I checked my wiring multiple time, swapped out 4.7k resistors, swapped out to new sensors/probes, and still only received the hard coded devices on the list. I even checked the power coming from the 5V lead and got 4.99V.

What I also know is, that after doing all of that, your continual, ridiculous question/answer had always been, "Did you refresh devices list?"

So, nebulous and I both tried all the other given advice and he figured out that the Arduino was either bad or didn't have a bootloader on the chip. We both replaced our Arduinos (both SainSmart), rewired everything and viola, sensors were found.

Again, I'm no tech guy, but nebulous is. Since farmskis is having the same issues we had and tried the same resolutions, my advice would be to see if the board is bad. If not, he at least tried that and ruled it out.

I'm worried that people are going to come here for the exact same problems and be told to recheck the exact same stuff over and over because you don't want to admit it could be a bad board, since you didn't come up with that solution. I guess if you don't suggest it, then it can't be the write answer?!?

I asked you one time and I asked him one time. im done with you. stop asking for help if all you're going to do is bad mouth the only person who is actively asking questions when every other person has said the same thing…"should work, don't know." I shouldn't have to defend my questions and I should report you for being unhelpful and off topic, but this isn't MY thread, and it certainly isn't yours! now if you want to be constructive you could try to help, but coming in here and talking down those that have,
A: had success with this project
B: have had all these issues before themselves
C: have seen every single post in this thread and have seen people come here for weeks not being able to find a device when it was just that their browser didn't have a scroll button on the I frame for the devices list and they never thought to scroll the mouse wheel, along with countless other complex problems that turned out to be something completely simple that no one thought to look at because it had never happened before.

…will just make everyone else here that have hung on for years even after they have finished their setups and moved on, stop wanting to help the newcomers.

This thread has helped get thousands of brewpi setups online and it will continue to do so until there is another better cheaper solution out there.

I'd be a little surprised if his 4.7K pull-up on the data line would be sufficient to provide parasitic power to three probes plus handle an active transaction to one of them without a fatal voltage sag, but I guess it can't be discounted...

Cheers!

With 5V disconnected, DS18B20 sensors can be powered through the 4k7 resistor via the DATA line. You can find an address for them. We detect whether they are parasitically powered and do not show parasitically powered devices in the device list, because 5V should be connected for reliable readings every second.

Just giving that as info because when someone says "my own test sketch was able to find them, so the hardware is correct", it might still be that they have 5V disconnected from the sensors.

Another option is that they do not have a DS18B20 sensor, but DS18S20 or similar.

But this is exactly why I switched to RJ11 connectors on the sensors for the BrewPi Spark. Debugging **** like this is not worth my time and in 99% of the cases, it's faulty wiring.

With 5V disconnected, DS18B20 sensors can be powered through the 4k7 resistor via the DATA line. You can find an address for them. We detect whether they are parasitically powered and do not show parasitically powered devices in the device list, because 5V should be connected for reliable readings every second.

Just giving that as info because when someone says "my own test sketch was able to find them, so the hardware is correct", it might still be that they have 5V disconnected from the sensors.

Another option is that they do not have a DS18B20 sensor, but DS18S20 or similar.

But this is exactly why I switched to RJ11 connectors on the sensors for the BrewPi Spark. Debugging **** like this is not worth my time and in 99% of the cases, it's faulty wiring.

True enough, but even RJ11 wiring wouldnt fix this if he has no idea what wire is going where.

For science as wbarber has stated i'd tear one of your probes apart and see exactly what wire is going where.

Just finished tearing a probe apart... No surprises there. if the new board does not do it im back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back