HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What problems were you having? Did it not see them at all or were they just not registering temps?

Never was able to get them to show up even after using several different ones from different suppliers......just couldn't find out what else to do and could not get anyone to give me any hints as what to do next so just gave up on the whole thing....thanks for reply

so ive been having problems saving or creating profiles. i always get the error saving profile meissage. i have tried running the update permissions script to no avail. apache logs are as follows

client denied by server configuration: /var/www/save_beer_profile.php, referer: http://192.168.1.31:82/mountainmash.php

[solved] Edit: I edited .htaccess which for some reason i'd set up as Allow 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.1. and then it worked. at least from my other laptop, however did not seem to work when adjusted locally.

Last edited:
2 probes both are tracking just fine. beer temp is currently 70.9 (though it started at 72.1) and the profile set temp is 70. fridge temp is 59.7. I am guessing the pid is learning how long it takes for the ambient temp to drop the beer temp to the correct set temp... I hope? Last night before I brewed I left the unit on with the "beer constant" set to 68 and just sitting in my living room. the graph in the morning showed that the arduino tried to heat and cool over the course of the night even though nothing was plugged in. that is why I thought it was weird it's been sitting idle for 1h45m not trying to cool it down.

Here's a thought: the Arduino spent the night trying to control your system without actually having the cold or heat functions hooked up. I'm betting it's goofy from trying to figure out how your system worked - and the parameters it adjusts are all bogus.

It's just a thought - but in the same situation I'd reload all of the defaults and start a new script...

Cheers!

[...]I'm sure any 30A 120V relay will work but do you have a suggestion on which one to use(Or NOT use)?[...]

Pretty much comes down to the coil voltage you want to use. I have a 12VDC rail running through the keezer so I bought a generic 30A relay with a 12vdc coil from a local source. Otherwise, I think your premise is true...

Cheers!

P3110015.jpg

7.5 x6.0 x 1.11/16
I have several project boxes available.

Now, to finish the box and close it up. You'll have to forgive the colors of the wires. I was using scrap.

zlPoF3pl.jpg

My brewpi is finished and I'll be brewing today. Does anyone see a problem with my rig? Detail and tidyness are not my strong points. Do I need to use a temp profile? Is the sample a good one roll with?

it all depends on what you are brewing and how comfortable you are with letting the brewpi control the whole process. for an APA I typically start at 68 for 5 days then raise up 4 degrees to 72 for 5 days. at which point I'll pull a sample if the gravity looks good and the sample tastes clean I'll start a 2 day cold crash process to get the beer down to 35 and leave it there until I have time to keg. obviously this process will change depending on style, yeast, starting gravity, etc.

My brewpi is finished and I'll be brewing today. Does anyone see a problem with my rig? Detail and tidyness are not my strong points. Do I need to use a temp profile? Is the sample a good one roll with?

Maybe some covers over the outlet and relays to keep little fingers out of the 120V

It's so gratifying to stand in the garage and watch it kick on the fridge. Just brewed up a milk stout to test it out.

Finished controller:
zJeQu1Ul.jpg

Last edited:
You could by a quad box and mount the relays inside of the metal box with the outlets.

quadbox.JPG

OK, I'm having an issue with my BrewPi computer. I have Debian running and it's been working great, until a few weeks ago that is. I finally had time to look at it yesterday. What's happening is that when it's on the network the entire network bogs down to a crawl. When I unplug it's Ethernet cable from the switch all other computers are fine again. I looked at the system resources on the Debian computer with it on the network and it's showing that it's uploading 2 gigs a minute. This would explain the network running very slow when it's connected. My question is what would it be uploading that much data and why? And how do I go about troubleshooting it further, short of rebuilding it?

-Dave

My relay board has lasted quite a while, atleast since i have started this thread so i thinnk its pretty rare for them to fail. How big of a fridge are you powering out of curiosity? I could potentially maybe see a really big freezer/fridge sourcing too much current and prematurely burning these things out.

It is a smaller convenience store fridge so I assume that is possible. I ordered a new arduino and have a couple of 8 port relays I can test with, but will try swapping around the pinouts first.

I guess the relay could burn out to the point where it works intermittently, shutting down after a bunch of use?

OK, I'm having an issue with my BrewPi computer. I have Debian running and it's been working great, until a few weeks ago that is. I finally had time to look at it yesterday. What's happening is that when it's on the network the entire network bogs down to a crawl. When I unplug it's Ethernet cable from the switch all other computers are fine again. I looked at the system resources on the Debian computer with it on the network and it's showing that it's uploading 2 gigs a minute. This would explain the network running very slow when it's connected. My question is what would it be uploading that much data and why? And how do I go about troubleshooting it further, short of rebuilding it?

-Dave

did you run top to figure out what was using all the resources.

I guess the relay could burn out to the point where it works intermittently, shutting down after a bunch of use?

It's certainly conceivable if the points are being toasted the degradation could increase over time - as opposed to a pretty much metal-splattering binary failure mode ;)

Cheers!

Just a quick note. I got a roku for Xmas and its caused nothing but issues with my brewpi. It knocks it off the web every couple of days. My brother and parents have been complaining about their networks, and I believe it can be contributed to the roku. So if you have network issues with the brewpi and have one of these things you may want to unplug it if your going on the road as I currently am.

Just a quick note. I got a roku for Xmas and its caused nothing but issues with my brewpi. It knocks it off the web every couple of days. My brother and parents have been complaining about their networks, and I believe it can be contributed to the roku. So if you have network issues with the brewpi and have one of these things you may want to unplug it if your going on the road as I currently am.

Interesting theory. I do have a roku and my brewpi does drop it's connection every few days... We don't have other network issues though.

Interesting theory. I do have a roku and my brewpi does drop it's connection every few days... We don't have other network issues though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/1z80mb/problem_with_roku_3_wifi_interference/

I have been trying to figure out what's been going on with their networks for over a year. A soft reset gets you back up and running but WTF??? I'm no IT guy, though work likes to use me as one, so I had no idea that this could be the issue until I set it up on my network. I have had this brewpi running since June and Rpints with daytrippers logger running on another unit for months with out issue. Turns out they they have been good canaries in my mine, sota speak.

Anyway, I know the roku is a pretty popular device so I thought I would share. Not sure exactly how I'm going to fix the issue but at least it seems fairly easy (though extremely annoying) to manage.

If anyone has a roku and a brewpi running with out issue please let me know.

Edit: when the roku seemingly causes this issue it also basically kick all the devices off the network: phones, printers, laptops and cameras. I would think that severity may vary depending on the router. I have a cheap belkin I picked up years ago.

My apologies for the long post. I'm stuck in Charlotte waiting on my 3rd delayed flight this trip and I'm getting bored.

There is a network auto-restart script that you can setup somewhere from the brewpi setup or update scripts, I've been meaning to use that to see if it would 'work around' this problem. I'll let you know how that goes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/1z80mb/problem_with_roku_3_wifi_interference/

I have been trying to figure out what's been going on with their networks for over a year. A soft reset gets you back up and running but WTF??? I'm no IT guy, though work likes to use me as one, so I had no idea that this could be the issue until I set it up on my network. I have had this brewpi running since June and Rpints with daytrippers logger running on another unit for months with out issue. Turns out they they have been good canaries in my mine, sota speak.

Anyway, I know the roku is a pretty popular device so I thought I would share. Not sure exactly how I'm going to fix the issue but at least it seems fairly easy (though extremely annoying) to manage.

If anyone has a roku and a brewpi running with out issue please let me know.

Edit: when the roku seemingly causes this issue it also basically kick all the devices off the network: phones, printers, laptops and cameras. I would think that severity may vary depending on the router. I have a cheap belkin I picked up years ago.

My apologies for the long post. I'm stuck in Charlotte waiting on my 3rd delayed flight this trip and I'm getting bored.

I've got 2 Roku's (series 2 & 3), a PC, 3 Macbooks, an iMac, 2 network printers, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, an Android phone, 2 DirecTV DVRs and an Apple TV all running on my home network along with my BrewPi (connected via WiFi) without the issues you're experiencing.

My home network is comprised of a Linksys E3000 connected to my Comcast cable modem (running in bridged mode). I also have a Netgear WRN3500L and Apple Airport Extreme acting as additional WiFi access points scattered throughout the house.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

The symptoms sound like the wireless router is losing its mind. If the router is "old" its firmware may have some weakness that the Roku is bringing out in spades. Check for available updates.

I have an old -G router that one of my DILs could crash at will using some third-world POS tablet that inexplicably she can't bear to part with (heck, I'd buy her an Air if I could pry her fingers off that thing). I finally removed the creds for that router from her tablet and the -N and -AC routers have no problems with said POS...

Cheers!

I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this thread going and helping the new guys get their setups figured out.
Got a baby coming in the next few days so i'll be even more MIA for awhile :)

I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this thread going and helping the new guys get their setups figured out.
Got a baby coming in the next few days so i'll be even more MIA for awhile :)

Thanks to you (an Elco of course) I've got a cheap brewpi that's working pretty well oldlarrybrewingco.tk on its test anyway.

Enjoy the new baby and thanks for your guide! (And everyone else that's helped too)

I've got 2 Roku's (series 2 & 3), a PC, 3 Macbooks, an iMac, 2 network printers, 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, an Android phone, 2 DirecTV DVRs and an Apple TV all running on my home network along with my BrewPi (connected via WiFi) without the issues you're experiencing.

My home network is comprised of a Linksys E3000 connected to my Comcast cable modem (running in bridged mode). I also have a Netgear WRN3500L and Apple Airport Extreme acting as additional WiFi access points scattered throughout the house.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

Yeah is not the end of the world, just really f'in annoying. I'll obviously need to take a closer look at it. Thanks for including your router info. I may just look for that model and pick one up. I use to swear by linksys and set a lot of people up on them, but this belkin has been great for how cheap it was. I do like the Roku, it's just odd how all this started after getting it set up. Hopefully I'll get something figured out. Again thanks for adding the equipment info. :rockin:

:off:

I was reminded today that there are worse things than not seeing your brewpi via the webs. Minutes after landing back in columbus there was a shooting at the passenger drop off. I wasn't near it(I was a floor below at baggage claim) but we did get moved around and told we couldn't leave. What a messed up day. Unfortunately some one was shot and killed. I hear it started over a car getting towed.

I need a beer

The symptoms sound like the wireless router is losing its mind. If the router is "old" its firmware may have some weakness that the Roku is bringing out in spades. Check for available updates.

I have an old -G router that one of my DILs could crash at will using some third-world POS tablet that inexplicably she can't bear to part with (heck, I'd buy her an Air if I could pry her fingers off that thing). I finally removed the creds for that router from her tablet and the -N and -AC routers have no problems with said POS...

Cheers!

I will look into this as well. It does seem like the easiest and simplest solution. Thank you

Belkin owns liksys now. I've had little issues with netgear over the years. I don't know what kind of provisioning your router has but if you have the ability to setup separate Wifi networks it could help. My router is an n router with 2.4 and 5ghz radios and on each radio i can setup a secure network and a second open network. If you could do something like that you could have the roku setup on its own network. If not you should be able to setup filtered access using the Mac addresses. This way you could setup static addresses by mac. And at least your devices would always keep the same IP address when the get kicked off and have to reconnect. Its not a permanent solution but at least you will always know the addresses of each device.

This may or may not be a big deal but thought I'd bring it up. This afternoon I'm fartin around and clicking through control panel and I click on view logs. Its odd to me that the top window says it cant hit the gateway and the bottom window says that it can. Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

This may or may not be a big deal but thought I'd bring it up. This afternoon I'm fartin around and clicking through control panel and I click on view logs. Its odd to me that the top window says it cant hit the gateway and the bottom window says that it can. Thoughts?

Magic!

I don't run that BrewPi "wifi keep-alive" widget, but looking at the time stamps between the two windows, it looks like the pings are 10 seconds apart, and most of them are being responded to before the TTL expires, but some aren't making the round trip.

I'd guess your BrewPi host's wifi connection is less than rock solid...

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I have my Brewpi set up with just a wifi dungle right now. I am thinking I would like to have as a blue tooth set up over the wifi. Is it an easy set up on the R-Pi?

Not sure what you're going for here.

I've posted a procedure that provides for a Bluetooth link between the BrewPi host and an Arduino Uno R3.

It doesn't alter the network connection (between the BrewPi host and the world), just the connection between the two BrewPi elements.

If you just want to add a Bluetooth dongle to your BrewPi host for other reasons, you could use that part of the instructions linked above...

Cheers!

I thought the ramping for a d rest on this alt went well. Was worried since the freezer is larger than my last @20 cuft. I also was worried about the lasko heater keeping up or even bumping up temps. That's obviously not an issue. I really love having this thing. Thanks again.

Also I updated firmware and so far so good with the roku.

Screenshot_2015-01-10-10-03-05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back