HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Fan: this actuator will be active when either heating or cooling is active. Mount
the fan inside your fridge and improve heat exchange by circulating the air."

So, all you have to do is hook up the fan to the assigned actuator (relay, usually) and the fan actuator will turn on when either cooling or heating is active.

Not necessarily an optimal mode of operation, imo...

Cheers!

Hmmm I'm not seeing the fan actuator switching when in heating or cooling mode

I just hooked an LED and current limiting resistor between "digital" pin 2 and 5vdc on one of my test bed BrewPi Unos, assigned it to Chamber Fan, and now when either the chamber "cooler" or "heater" are on the LED lights up as expected. Check your wiring?

Cheers!

I have 4 relays on a relay shield and I can trigger each one by inverting the pins. But it doesn't switch the relay when I'm in heating/cooling mode.

Weird I inverted the pin to see if it was some weird fluke and switched back off. Then set it to not inverted and now it's functioning with the cooling cycle. Just a fluke I guess. Oh and my shield has different pinouts for actuators my fan is on pin7

But it reverts back to its broken state upon a system restart. I can fix it by inverting the pin the un-inverting it. But this should not be the "fix". I have to go to bed now I'll try again to figure it out tomorrow.

[QU OTE=day_trippr;6256157]"Fan: this actuator will be active when either heating or cooling is active. Mount

So, all you have to do is hook up the fan to the assigned actuator (relay, usually) and the fan actuator will turn on when either cooling or heating is active.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

My fan runs 24/7 on a wall wart. Also played with my probes by wrapping them together with an elastic band in measure only mode on the bench for a day. Showed that all are within tolerance but also that two were almost identical and had a slightly better temp response. I assigned the two that were closest to beer and fridge and the other to room temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I finally gave up and decided I will dedicate my Pi to the project instead of hacking together an old desktop and everything seems to be working goof the LAMP is running good and i can access it fine. but what i am running into is I could not get my wireless connection to stay running and have a static IP. I wrestled with it for a few hours to no avail. About 1230 I quit and headed to bed. Woke up this morning and was typing out a question when it hit me like a fish at the Seattle fish market. I had accidentally typed eth0 not wlan0. What a difference fresh eyes make.

well I thought it would be nice to get vnc to run and i got it going fine. then i set it to run at startup and it killed my network on startup I have to go and tell everything to run sudo /etc/init.d/networking start reply operation not permitted but the wifi runs afterwords I removed the file and the folder tat was suppose to run the vnc at startup but still no luck. Any Ideas

"Fan: this actuator will be active when either heating or cooling is active. Mount

Cheers!

Agreed that it is sub-optimal mode. I wire the wall wart to the fan and that sucker whirs all the time, the way I want it.

Home made 1-wire shield
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405830744.757190.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405830797.672004.jpg

So what's the warranties on these arduinos like. I just accidentally crossed pin 2 to pin 13 instead of ground and then it died… ;(

So what's the warranties on these arduinos like. I just accidentally crossed pin 2 to pin 13 instead of ground and then it died… ;(

None that I know of. I have fried several in my years of tinkering from stupid mistakes.
They are cheap, just go pick up another one.

-G

Figured out how I fried my arduino. A curved piece of solder had found its way under my arduino. And since I had it plugged into the wall wart, it was able to cross 12v to multiple contacts under the board.

Sucks too. Cause my rpi comes today and I had everything finished up ready to go into a project box

I think Radio Shack sells Unos if you have one near you, they will be more expensive than online though. So it really depends if you have more money than patience ;)

All I gots is radioshack and they suck. Look what came in the mail today :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405988066.171808.jpg

It's socketed but I think it might have blown out more than the chip

Has anyone used of those diy 7" touchscreen TFT displays you can get on amazon and eBay. I'd like to use it for my brewpi but I don't have a clue if any of the drivers are supported.

Your probably better off buying a old ipad gen 1 or crappy chinese android tablet for 25 to 50 bucks and mounting it. The Web interface is all that matters.

I like how I ask a question requesting info from anyone who has a specific piece of hardware and all I get is responses telling me how it doesn't matter because 1 person doesn't specifically agree with the fact that I want or need said hardware. Thanks for the help though.

Hi there! I have read this thread and think it sounds like a good option for a temperature controller, but I am still a little confused on the hardware. My understanding is that I will need a Raspberry Pi (having no spare computer to run Linux on), and arduino, a SSR, temperature probes, wires, cables, power, etc. Do I need a monitor and keyboard to plug into the Pi to run the thing, or once that side is all set up can I plug it in to a laptop or iPad and run it from there? I am having a hard time figuring out where exactly the programming and the manipulation of the brewpi temp logging/control interface is and how that all works with the Raspberry Pi/arduino side of things. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

After it's all set up you can reach brewpi from any browser on your network. If you aren't familiar with ssh then it's recommended to use a monitor/keyboard for the initial setup. After that you can run headless

Found a 5VDC wall wart and spliced on the right connector for the UNO. Definitely improved the situation from a script crash every 2-3 hours to 2 crashes in the last 12. Realized my USB cable is coming from the back of the PC along with the power cord and they both go through the same rathole into my chamber. Rerouted the USB cable to a front panel port and went into the chamber through its own hole. Fingers crossed.

No USB port/cable combination would fix the script crashing problem on my 10-year-old Dell desktop. Rpi arrived yesterday and been problem-free for over 12 hours. It was hilarious seeing the little pi outperforming the massive PC next to it. At least I didn't have a beer to ferment during this past week of f'ing around with brewpi on obsolete equipment. Thanks to everyone that tried to help. :mug:

Just a quick question about the wifi check item what is the reason for that can I run this without the USB direct to the PC running the web server?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Wifi check is about the PC's wifi connection to the LAN. Without a (functioning) USB connection from PC to UNO, you'll get endless I/O errors.

I had an old webcam lying around, so I hooked it up and set up a cronjob to take a pic every 10 seconds.
I then edited the index.php file to add the picture (and refresh it every 10s) at the bottom of the page.

Now I can watch the bubbles without opening the fridge :)
Living the dream...

BrewPi.jpg

I had an old webcam lying around, so I hooked it up and set up a cronjob to take a pic every 10 seconds.
I then edited the index.php file to add the picture (and refresh it every 10s) at the bottom of the page.

Now I can watch the bubbles without opening the fridge :)
Living the dream...

View attachment 212890

coooolll.
looking for just the thing. My fridge is in the fridge out the back.
can you post the how to pls

coooolll.
looking for just the thing. My fridge is in the fridge out the back.
can you post the how to pls

OK, essentially there are 2 parts:
The part that takes a pic every "however" long.
And the part that sticks it on the webpage.

Taking the pic:
Plug in your webcam.
In terminal, type "lsusb", check that the webcam shows up.
To take a pic, type the following:
Code:
streamer -f jpeg -o image.jpeg
If that doesn't work, install streamer
Code:
sudo apt-get install streamer
If it still doesn't work, try it with sudo
Code:
sudo streamer -f jpeg -o image.jpeg

If that's all working then we just need to get it running often.
Let's start with once per minute.
In Ubuntu, type
Code:
sudo crontab -e
Add the following line at the bottom:
Code:
* * * * * streamer -f jpeg -o /var/www/html/image.jpeg
(omit the "html" bit if you don't have that folder)
[Note: I don't know how to edit cron for other Unix os's. Maybe someone else can help with that, or Google it]
Exit crontab

Wait a minute, check if image.jpeg has showed up in the right folder, and that it's pointing in the right direction.

Editting the webpage:
Back up your index.php
Then, edit this line:
Code:
<body>
to this:
Code:
<body onload="JavaScript:timedRefresh(60000);">

Then, add this just before the </body> tag:
Code:
<canvas id="x" width="600" height="600"/>
<script type="text/JavaScript">

var x=0, y=0;
var canvas, context, img;

function timedRefresh(timeoutPeriod)
{
    canvas = document.getElementById("x");
    context = canvas.getContext("2d");
    img = new Image();
    img.src = "image.jpeg?t=" + new Date().getTime();
    img.onload = function() {
    context.drawImage(img, x, y);

setTimeout("timedRefresh("+timeoutPeriod+")",timeoutPeriod);
};
}  
</script>

Save, and refresh your webpage.
You should be all set :)
Note:
This is almost definitely not the optimum way to do this, but it works, and took me 5 minutes to do. I may optimise it this weekend when I get a chance.
I'm keen to get it taking a pic a second, but that requires extra work as cron only works in minutes.

Could this be done with the standard raspberry pi camera instead of taking up a USB slot?

Cool I wanted a reason to screw around with the pi camera.

Just finished reading all 112 pages and so much information to digest, wish it could be indexed for future use. So many amazing ideas and useful links. Awesome contributers, hats off to your time, patients and wisdom! Thanks

I don't think you can disable them, but you can toggle them off and on in the chart by clicking on (the word) Annotations...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back