HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two brewpi. One I can access from any device. The other I can access only from smartphones. Why? This one, I cant change data logging time sampling. Why?

Is this only in the cron file? I was checking around in the directories and found a cron file that had "wifichecker" in it. This was the issue that was displaying on the prompt on BrewPi page. I just don't want to delete the cron file and crash everything if there's another script that calls on it.

Are you using eth0, lo, or just on the local machine? I'd love to hear how you have it setup to run without wifi and which alterations you had to make. Since I have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I really don't need internet access at all.

I didn't make any changes I just did a manual install. I don't know why you're having issues with your network connection. And I don't know why or where the wifi checker script is off hand as I don't use it nor have I ever seen it.

My BrewPi just decided to stop running the script... I started a new beer profile last night and it looked like it stopped around 8:30 or 9am this morning... Can anyone make suggestions based on the attached pic of the errors showing on the log screenshot? BTW, I'm running three separate instances. Ferment1, Ferment2, & Utility. The other two scripts are not running as well.

Thanks!

error screenshot.jpg

I have an observation turn question.

Just wired up everything and I was testing out the probes when I noticed:

The fridge probe reacts quickly, but the beer probe reacts much slower, around 60-90 seconds slower than the fridge. Is this normal?

Was this already addressed somewhere? My google foo feels weak on this one.

My BrewPi just decided to stop running the script... I started a new beer profile last night and it looked like it stopped around 8:30 or 9am this morning... Can anyone make suggestions based on the attached pic of the errors showing on the log screenshot? BTW, I'm running three separate instances. Ferment1, Ferment2, & Utility. The other two scripts are not running as well.

Thanks!

Your having the infamous dying serial port problem, are you on a PC or a RPI?

I think the most common fix for this is to keep your USB->Arduino connection as short as possible and to power the Arduino via an external power adapter rather than have it get power over USB from the RPI/PC. And keep the cable away from power cables as much as possible to prevent noise from getting onto the USB line which corrupts it and kills the link. You dont need to goto great lengths, just dont twist the cord around the RPI power cable or other wiring you have in your box.

I have an observation turn question.

Just wired up everything and I was testing out the probes when I noticed:

The fridge probe reacts quickly, but the beer probe reacts much slower, around 60-90 seconds slower than the fridge. Is this normal?

Was this already addressed somewhere? My google foo feels weak on this one.

Is your beer probe submerged or are they both in the air? If its submerged that explains it?

I think the most common fix for this is to keep your USB->Arduino connection as short as possible and to power the Arduino via an external power adapter rather than have it get power over USB from the RPI/PC. And keep the cable away from power cables as much as possible to prevent noise from getting onto the USB line which corrupts it and kills the link. You dont need to goto great lengths, just dont twist the cord around the RPI power cable or other wiring you have in your box.

I'm running it off an old laptop running Debian. The USB/power interference may explain it. I did move things around a bit this morning and I know the cables and laptop power supply are intertwined... It's also in my garage, so I can't imagine the Vegas heat is helping it out either.

As the previous post stated, thank you for your documentation of the whole process! BTW, the link on one of the original posts to give an example of opening it outside connections is down.
Cheers!

Correct, they are both submerged.... What gives? Is that normal?

By the way, thank you so much for this thread. I know that's an understatement, but thank you so much.

I am not 100% positive, but I believe the beer probe intentionally reacts more slowly than the others. at least mine does and I assumed it was built into the code in order to minimize corrections to the algorithm.

I've seen it referenced on the BrewPi forums a few times.

Here for example: Room Temp Sensor Sensitivity

And here: Temp Sensor Anamoly

I'm running it off an old laptop running Debian. The USB/power interference may explain it. I did move things around a bit this morning and I know the cables and laptop power supply are intertwined... It's also in my garage, so I can't imagine the Vegas heat is helping it out either.

As the previous post stated, thank you for your documentation of the whole process! BTW, the link on one of the original posts to give an example of opening it outside connections is down.
Cheers!

As stated by others i think its meant to be that way, you dont need your beer updating on such a quick cycle. Every minute or two sure, but not every 10 seconds or whatever it is the fridge sensor updates. I assume this is because the fridge sensor will see very drastic changes when the thing turns on so they need to track these to properly setup the PID algorithm, where as your beer isnt going anywhere over 60 seconds but maybe a few tenths of a degree if your purposely trying to crash it with really cold fridge air.

Please excuse my ignorance but

Will this setup give you any of the programmability for timed automatic steps that you get with the stc 1000+

Please excuse my ignorance but

Will this setup give you any of the programmability for timed automatic steps that you get with the stc 1000+

Yea, and imo it's much easier. The stc was never meant to do what they got it doing so they have top work around using it's stupid menu system. I still can't believe they actually got all that working :)

The web based interface works better and you can have multiple ones saved if you want. I have one for ales that ferments for 2 weeks then crashes it for another week. All I do is modify the temp I want it to start at and come back in 3 weeks to keg. And I have another one for a lager I make quite often.

My only advice from experience is to get a genuine Uno, power it externally, and use a good but short USB cable. I can't say for certain if one or more of those points has been screwing mine up, but the web interface has been losing connection and displaying the "could not read version" error after every 24-36 hours or so since I hooked up this last time. I'm just using it to keep a chest freezer at fridge temps since our fridge is too small at the moment. The Arduino (knockoff Uno) keeps the temp just fine, but if I was relying on it to do any step changes instead of just fridge constant I'd be screwed.

I'm assuming, of course, that every time the temp set point needs to be changed that it requires a re-write from the host computer. Am I correct? How much is programmed directly onto the Arduino and how much relies on a continued connection to the PC? In other words, how much functionality would remain if it was just the Uno board disconnected from the PC?

Only logging, steps and temperatures should continue as expected if the host pc goes down.

Only logging, steps and temperatures should continue as expected if the host pc goes down.

Mine has been having trouble too, as I wrote in a previous post a week or two ago. With the lager that I have going now, I noticed that if I just leave the PC alone, it will continue with the program. However if I wake up the PC, the script stops. Also, when I wake up the computer the data logging most often stops ~12-24 hours after the script starts. Not too big of a deal as long I can count on it to maintain the temps.

Interesting. As much as I love the idea, it's also kinda cool to eliminate unnecessary clutter around my extremely limited brew space.

To those who posted recently, have the issues only been with knock off arduinos?

To those who posted recently, have the issues only been with knock off arduinos?

To be fair, I actually fermented a batch early this year and it had no problems at all. Flawless, actually. Maybe there was an update between then and June or July (I dismantled it all and it sat in a box for a few months). But since I unpacked it, reflashed it, and set it up again it's been dropping the signal.

OH! And I'm now running it from a Pi 2 instead of my old Linux box like I was before. I wasn't powering it then, it was drawing from USB, but from a desktop it was likely a robust supply. I honestly might go back to that since I'm going to hopefully run two chambers (or a chamber and a keezer) plus RPints, plus BeerSmith and probably Netflix during brew days. :)

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always run mine using a sainsmart arduino UNO powered from the Raspberry Pi. I've never had an issue, except when water got into my thermowell and my sensors went bonkers.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always run mine using a sainsmart arduino UNO powered from the Raspberry Pi. I've never had an issue, except when water got into my thermowell and my sensors went bonkers.

Similar, mine runs fine once i get it going. Mine almost always goes bonkers when i shove the probe down the thermowell, im not sure if the silicone i put around it just didnt cover everything so its shorting or what but once i get the thermowell down i reboot the RPI and it all comes up fine.

Similar, mine runs fine once i get it going. Mine almost always goes bonkers when i shove the probe down the thermowell, im not sure if the silicone i put around it just didnt cover everything so its shorting or what but once i get the thermowell down i reboot the RPI and it all comes up fine.

That's probably because I followed your original post exactly! So.... Thanks for that!

Thanks that's great
So if I splurge for $69 kit I don't need to have a pc in the brew house, correct?

Thanks that's great
So if I splurge for $69 kit I don't need to have a pc in the brew house, correct?

Correct (however technically, the rpi is your pc).

Just make sure you have a monitor you can hook it up to for the initial setup.

I have to move my TV into my hallway as it's the only thing I own with an hdmi input.

I just thought it was about time I thanked everyone in this thread, especially FuzzeWuzze for making it possible. I am on my second brew using brewpi so far, I am yet to taste the results of either but everything seems to be working amazingly well.

Thanks again

I just thought it was about time I thanked everyone in this thread, especially FuzzeWuzze for making it possible. I am on my second brew using brewpi so far, I am yet to taste the results of either but everything seems to be working amazingly well.

Thanks again

Good to hear! Post some pics of your final build if you get a chance!

If you head over to the BrewPi Wiki at http://diybrewpi.wikia.com/wiki/DIYBrewPi_Wikia and check out the article I wrote for multiple chamber control you might find what you are missing.

let me first say thanks for the guild. It is what I was using. With some help with the brew pi guide. I did get past this step. by logging in as the brewpi user. but then the next step would not let me open the file. and at that point my frustration took over and decided to walk away for a bit.:mug:

So... based off your suggestion, I went back to clean up the cables and as I was troubleshooting and moving to a different USB port, it dawned on me that when I programmed the multiple Uno units (I'm using three generic units off Amazon...), I needed to map out the USB port...

I reconnected it to the original port, and there it was and has been running flawless since...

So... based off your suggestion, I went back to clean up the cables and as I was troubleshooting and moving to a different USB port, it dawned on me that when I programmed the multiple Uno units (I'm using three generic units off Amazon...), I needed to map out the USB port...

I reconnected it to the original port, and there it was and has been running flawless since...

Use serial symlinks next time and it won't matter where you plug them in

**** IDEA ****
so i am almost done with my brewpi setup, i plan on using 4 temp probs
-- beer 1
-- beer 2
-- fridge temp
-- room temp

My problem is beer 1 works but how do i get a beer two? i would like beer 2 to rotate in the LCD display and then the on the graph show the avg between beer 1 and beer 2. this would be cool if it was an option in the admin page. Checkbox for beer prob 2 . checkbox for avg of beer 1 and 2 probs... I have no problem trying to re-write and post back some of the code changes..
Not sure where the logic that would hold these vales.. anyone know what pages i should start re-writing?

Thanks, PTown brewer

The brewpi guys moved up to a different platform because they had exhausted the limitations of the arduino and they still haven't really put together much more than what you got now as far as the software goes. They had intended to add additional protocol beer probes and whatnot, which is why it's labeled beer 1 and not just beer.

**** IDEA ****
so i am almost done with my brewpi setup, i plan on using 4 temp probs[...]

Not sure where the logic that would hold these vales.. anyone know what pages i should start re-writing?

"pages"?

You're going to have to make major changes to the AVR firmware to support the second beer probe, and then make major changes to the host side BrewPi code.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd guess you're looking at a 12...

Cheers!

Gentlemen, All of You, Fuzze, Elkoe, WBarber69 (Yeah even a slam down answer deserves it :D ) Thank You:mug::mug:

I have had a working Pi for a week now, OK it's still in Breadboard format, and wrapped up in an amazon DVD card board packing sleeve. But working and stable . . . as you can see I had some wild swings in temperature initially, but solved that by putting some water into the fermenter. Incredibly stable given that we have had swings in room temp from 28C down to 12C. Can't wait to get a brew in it this weekend, and actually ferment something properly. . . . although I'll probably rehouse it in a plastic box, again temporarily, until I can build it all directly into my fridge.

Pics of setup will follow.

Thank you for answering my dumb questions and putting up with such noob naivete. Honestly I do know stuff about electronics, but I get soooooo excited sometimes I get carried away :ban::ban::ban:, slowly slowly catchee monkey :D

I will however get a hex compiled for my Mega and use that to replace the STC I have on my Kegerator . . . not because I need to , but just to prove that I can . . .Someone Said something like that in the 60's I believe :D

brewpitest.jpg

**** IDEA ****
so i am almost done with my brewpi setup, i plan on using 4 temp probs
-- beer 1
-- beer 2
-- fridge temp
-- room temp

My problem is beer 1 works but how do i get a beer two? i would like beer 2 to rotate in the LCD display and then the on the graph show the avg between beer 1 and beer 2. this would be cool if it was an option in the admin page. Checkbox for beer prob 2 . checkbox for avg of beer 1 and 2 probs... I have no problem trying to re-write and post back some of the code changes..

Thanks, PTown brewer

Hate to break it to you but you really need two arduino's to control two different beers, wbarber and others have ways to host it all from a single PC/RPI but the controller bit(the arduino) needs to be seperate due to the software limitations(its only real limitation IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back