HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you ran a multiple instance manual install, and everything is all setup but you don't know where the website is located?

I don't know where you installed your directories or what you named them. But you should be able to see on the system in a browser from localhost/nameofinstance

I did everything exactly as outlined in day_trippr's post with the exception of i named min brewpired and brewpiblack instead of brewpi1 and brewpi2.

The localhost worked! BrewPi Reporting for duty!

Does this help troubleshoot my problem trying to access it via IP address?

When you cloned to the new locations, you never built a default site. So there isn't any site up at just the ip address

OK.

I am little lost as to what you mean but I am willing to accept that. Is there a way to fix the issue?

OK.

I am little lost as to what you mean but I am willing to accept that. Is there a way to fix the issue?

When you setup a multiple instance version you can no longer follow my instructions of going to Http://brewpi on your network

You have to go to http://brewpi/nameofinstance because you no longer have a "default" site that the rest of us only running one instance do for http://brewpi to forward you to.

Should be able to hook everything up like before and reuse your original sdcard

I sent the sdcard back with the defective RasPi so I will have a new SD card coming with the new RasPi. If I install brewpi onto the new sd card the UNO should have all of the devices, etc flashed into the UNO correct? Or will I need to do everything all over again?

You'll be reinstalling everything on the raspi again. But the uno should run fine by itself. It will retain the last programmed settings. These can be read back into the next install.

I did everything exactly as outlined in day_trippr's post with the exception of i named min brewpired and brewpiblack instead of brewpi1 and brewpi2.

The localhost worked! BrewPi Reporting for duty!

Does this help troubleshoot my problem trying to access it via IP address?

Well, yeah. Replace /localhost/ with your LAN address...

Cheers!

New head-butting exercise. Got my USB hub in. Started transferring my test settings over to raspi. I got all 4 instances running…but now I'm getting arduino debug message warning for each one. Telling me "Invalid command received by Arduino:"

Now to figure out this crap…

Before I had everything running in a vm. Now it's all running on the pi with a powered hub. The problem is with the hub, as I can remove an arduino from the hub and connect it directly to the pi and it stops writing garbage to the pi.

Just want to thank you all for helping make this happen, very cool indeed. Finally got my thing in a pretty cheap case, hacked up with a dremel and everything velcro-taped down on the inside.

It's loose and clunky, but I'm more concerned with function over form. Now I just have to fire up the fridge and let it run for a day to test out. Hoping my wiring is safe and poses no fire risk :eek:

brewpi.jpg

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e95of
avrdude: stk500_recv() : programmer is not responding

This is what happens when I reprogram one of my instances. Then it restarts the arduino like there was no problem. Then I get a list of debug messages showing invalid commands received by arduino continuously.

Trying to replicate my issue with the vm and the new hub… so far I cannot recreate the issue. It must be a raspi power issue

My guess is that the raspi isn't powerful enough to read/write to 4 arduinos simultaneously…

EDIT: definitely a problem with the hub. I can hook up all 4 arduinos directly to the pi without any problems. Now I have no way to hook up a keyboard. Guess I'll need a different/better hub… any suggestions?

Ordered a small 4 port from monoprice and a bit larger usb3.0 hub in case that one doesn't work.

Of course, belkin tries to "help" by telling me my hub is only supported by Mac…. Like any hub is going to offer support for raspi. I guess I shouldn't plug it into my windows machine… lol

Of course, belkin tries to "help" by telling me my hub is only supported by Mac…. Like any hub is going to offer support for raspi. I guess I shouldn't plug it into my windows machine… lol

If you plug it into Windows how is it going to steal all your online photos?! :tank::mug:

Got a much smaller powered hub from monoprice coming that should be able to leak all my nude photos much easier than this Mac only equivalent…

I love talking to robots.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410122555.775646.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410122586.421069.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410122607.953022.jpg

This is just another let down in a long line of disappointing products I've received from belkin. Don't even get me started on wemo…

My guess is that the raspi isn't powerful enough to read/write to 4 arduinos simultaneously…

EDIT: definitely a problem with the hub. I can hook up all 4 arduinos directly to the pi without any problems. Now I have no way to hook up a keyboard. Guess I'll need a different/better hub… any suggestions?

Ah - you did get a B+ then.

Somewhere back a week or so ago I wrote here about the issues I had with a cheap USB2.0 hub. It has worked perfectly with just the two Unos running BrewPi (and I mean for a couple of months straight without a single burp in the logs or otherwise).

But as soon as I plug in a wifi nic or a wireless mini-kb transceiver BrewPi will start coughing up problems that usually start with random bad characters in the status string sent by an Uno and typically end with the RPi shooting the root hub due to fatal errors.

I always run the RPi, the AlaMode, and each Uno with separate/dedicated power supplies so it's not a power issue. The fact that two Unos work so perfectly throws rocks at my suspicion that either the AVR firmware or the RPi has a weak USB stack that doesn't handle traffic well. So I really don't know where the problem lays...

Cheers!

If the next small hub doesn't work I might scratch the fourth uno but first I'll see how the USB3 hub handles it. Since it comes with a 3.8v psu I assume it might be more robust.

With the B+ and three Unos on the hub (apparently that works ok?) you'd still have ports on the RPi for the fourth Uno, your keyboard and lan adapter. Seems like you'd still be good to go unless I'm missing something.

Wait - you once mentioned USB over cat cabling.
Is that how you're running the hub?

Cheers!

Not yet. That idea is for rpints. Right now I'm using the shortest cables I can find. This hub won't work with 1 arduino. If I could get all 4 on one hub then I can put all the arduinos in one enclosure, put all the relays and junk inside the fridge and have the ds2413s control everything. I want to run the rpi with a single laptop screen in kiosk mode, but the hd graphics make it pretty much impossible to load a webpage…let alone one with live graphing. So going headless isn't a problem now. But I would like to have at least a keyboard :(

I will say this. Changing the symlinks to use the serial number as opposed to the port number has made moving around all these cables while troubleshooting a breeze. It doesn't matter where I put a specific arduino, it never loses its assignment. About 30 seconds goes by, brewpi restarts the script automatically and I'm good.

I like the idea - I saw the post a week or so ago.
But how do you fetch the Uno serial number from a terminal session?
You'd think Google would be all over that, but...

Cheers!

Run udevadm info stuff. Use attr== serial… blah blah blah. What that other guy posted a few pages back. It works flawlessly, you just gotta be handy with the cut and paste cause them serial numbers are long…

It makes it worth labeling each arduino now that they can be permanently assigned it'll make ensuring I wire everything up right a lot easier.

The actual udevadm command would be helpful.
The person that wrote that post only provided how to use the serial number for the symlink, not how to obtain it...

Thanks

udevadm info -a -n /dev/ttyACM0 | less

Instead of using the kernel=portaddress
Instead use the attribute serial line as the symlink definition

Code:

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyACM*" , ATTRS{serial}=="A902TDXG", SYMLINK+="arduino_fridge", GROUP="brewpi"

Only the serial number will be much longer than it is in the example

Here's a cap from my terminal session showing the attribute serial line
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410143189.581132.jpg

So what is to be gained by adding the GROUP = "brewpi" portion of the line? It is absent in day_trippr's instruction. Not sure if it matters just trying to learn what does what here.

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyACM*" , ATTRS{serial}=="A902TDXG", SYMLINK+="arduino_fridge", GROUP="brewpi"

Good job guys, on the Sainsmart Uno page on Amazon is this now lol

AmazonBrewPi.png

Choice. Now if everyone would just buy the same sized project box and connection jacks and outlets, we could make the Amazon Pack for BrewPi. Or something similarly snarkily named.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back