How's this recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
looking for something simple for the spring months. Was thinking about doing a us red ale. How does this look?

5.5g batch
og 1.054
mash at 152

9 lb us 2-row
1 lb crystal 40
.75 lb crystal 80
.75 munich
2oz roasted barley

Some classic us hops like cascade for about 35-40 ibu's with moderate flavor and aroma.
Ferment at 68 with US-05

It depends on what you're making- it will make a pretty sweet amber with that much crystal malt. It's over 15% crystal malt, and that has always been my "absolute max, no matter what" limit, and usually it's quite a bit less for a nice amber.

If you bitter it enough, and hop it enough, it should be ok but I'd probably lower the crystal to no more than 12% and possibly prefer 10%.

Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be too sweet. I love a good red ipa to be a bit sweeter but since I won't be hopping this one to heavily I want it to be a little dryer and more quaffable.
How about bringing the c-40 down to .75lb and the c-80 to .5lb? That would be just over 11%.
I suppose I could also mash a bit lower. 150-152

Yeah, I definitely don't want it to be too sweet. I love a good red ipa to be a bit sweeter but since I won't be hopping this one to heavily I want it to be a little dryer and more quaffable.
How about bringing the c-40 down to .75lb and the c-80 to .5lb? That would be just over 11%.
I suppose I could also mash a bit lower. 150-152

Yes, that sounds really good, actually!

Great! Thanks Yoop, always appreciated! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back