How's my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewkeggin

Reaction score
After several years of all-grain brewing, I've finally gotten comfortable enough with my process that I'd like to start shifting my focus to some other details, like water chemistry (if necessary). My favorite beers to brew are
  • IPAs
  • DIPAs
  • Saisons
  • Stouts
  • Wheat beers
and I might start brewing some lighter beers. I've attached my water report from Ward Labs. I am on city water and we have a water tower near by. I usually run my brewing water through a whole house filter that I attach to my 100 ft garden hose. This seems to do a good job of getting rid of some chlorine treatment off-tastes. Is there anything particularly alarming about my results? Any recommendations for additions? Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Jordan

water.png

There is nothing of concern for brewing in that water that cannot be overcome by suitable treatment.

For pale beers there will be need to reduce alkalinity in mash and sparge liquor with acid, plus calcium salt additions chosen to give the required character of the beer in mind.

For stouts there is an adequate level of alkalinity, potentially requiring only an addition of calcium chloride.

There is nothing of concern for brewing in that water that cannot be overcome by suitable treatment.

For pale beers there will be need to reduce alkalinity in mash and sparge liquor with acid, plus calcium salt additions chosen to give the required character of the beer in mind.

For stouts there is an adequate level of alkalinity, potentially requiring only an addition of calcium chloride.
Thank you so much.

I am not sure exactly where the water in Baltimore comes from, but in the mid-Atlantic it seems that much of our water comes from surface sources and it is moderately hard with a fairly low level of minerals. My water comes mostly from the Potomac River. Based on info I can find and comparing my report to others in Northern Virginia, the levels of Sulfate and Chloride likely vary +/- 20 or 30 through the year.

I made good beer for years without adjusting, but I can see why I made better Browns, Ambers, and Malty Pale Ales, than IPAs and Stouts. Most mid-Atlantic water is not the best text-book Pilsner profile, but can be adjusting to brew most styles (and diluted if you want a very light mineral level for specific styles).

I am not sure exactly where the water in Baltimore comes from, but in the mid-Atlantic it seems that much of our water comes from surface sources and it is moderately hard with a fairly low level of minerals. My water comes mostly from the Potomac River. Based on info I can find and comparing my report to others in Northern Virginia, the levels of Sulfate and Chloride likely vary +/- 20 or 30 through the year.

I made good beer for years without adjusting, but I can see why I made better Browns, Ambers, and Malty Pale Ales, than IPAs and Stouts. Most mid-Atlantic water is not the best text-book Pilsner profile, but can be adjusting to brew most styles (and diluted if you want a very light mineral level for specific styles).
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Back