How's my crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Put together the MM2 I bought since my Barley Crusher is dying (I could have just bought new rollers but that's not how I roll----get it?). :)
This is the same gap I used on the BC, .035 (factory was .039 but since I BIAB, I thought .035 was better and it's worked for me).
But, this looks a bit finer than what I'm used to.

This is some old C80 that I used to try out the new mill. Man is it fast!
IMG_0853.jpg IMG_0854.jpg

That looks very similar to the crush I get from my MM2 with a 0.034" gap (credit card). :rock:

Now I use a converted cooler mash tun with a C-PVC manifold and batch sparge 2x. Only with large amounts of wheat, rye, or flaked barley I have to add 8 oz of rice hulls (in 5 gallon batches) to lauter well.

For BIAB you can go quite a bit finer, very possible to 0.024-0.028". There will still be a lot of good, non-shredded husk material (I tried it). That will also take care of the following process at the same time:

I mill all small-grained malt (wheat, rye, etc.), together with all flaked goods, separately on a smaller gap: 0.028" (thin, junk mail credit card from AmEx).

Back