Howdy from Silver Spring MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing extracts for about a year now, and finally making the jump to all grain. I have a few ales I've made, and lucky for me, there wasn't a one I couldn't drink! (though I am biased).

My setup isn't special, but i just got a real nice 10 gal commercial stockpot for my larger boils, and a run of the mill turkey frier burner (same as the bayou classic stuff I'm sure everyone is familiar with) and probably building by mash/lauter tun this weekend or next week.

I'm also really eager to start some lagers (I REALLY want to make a good pilsner), so once I get one or 2 decent AG ales under my belt, i might be looking at a cheap chest freezer with thermostat override so i can get a really good fermentation and lagering.

lastly, I just got a pair of corny kegs. Really looking forward to cleaning them up and skipping the bottling process for my next round.

Welcome! :mug: We've got a fair number of MD brewers on the site, so you should check out the next MD brew day.

Definitely keep an eye on Craiglist for the chest freezer. I got one that was practically brand new for ~$75.

good call on the craigslist. I'll have to keep an eye out there (maybe e-bay too, we'll see). btw, I've been going to MD home brew, and definitely like them, but is there a HB store any closer to silver spring?

were the ales all grain?

no, everything has been DME or LME so far, but i got my hands on a big brewpot, got a CF chiller on the way (wanted to make one, but after hearing about the hassles of threading the tube, i ponied up the $50) and building my tun soon, so the next batch i make will be my first AG.

I've been reading enough that i have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do, but it will always be a learning process. I keep seeing MD home brew sending out their all-grain class emails, but im always too slow to respond. oh well, the best learning comes when you have to fix things on your own.

to be more specific, they've been partials (just some grain steeping before adding extracts) but its time to move up.
Sunday's full, in DC playing kickball, but if you're willing to have a visitor to watch and learn, next time, I can definitely be put to work! you in silver spring as well?

to be more specific, they've been partials (just some grain steeping before adding extracts) but its time to move up.
Sunday's full, in DC playing kickball, but if you're willing to have a visitor to watch and learn, next time, I can definitely be put to work! you in silver spring as well?

ah kickball.... I remember the days in my youth when i did that! Im in hippyville! Takoma park. and its always good to spread the knowledge!

Back