Howdy from Decatur, Ga

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilort

Reaction score
I started out with a Mr. Beer about 5 years ago. I'd wanted to try my hand at brewing for about 5 years before I got the Mr. Beer. My wife gave me the Mr. Beer for Christmas one year to see how I liked brewing. I enjoyed it (the brewing part, the beer wasn't so great) and so we got all of my father-in-law's old brewing supplies (couple of carboys, floating thermometer, hydrometer, but a lot of the tubing and stuff was dry rotted and we tossed it).

I've now brewed a very weak pale ale, an imperial red, a gluten free raspberry beer, a barley wine (still aging), and I'm working on a coffee porter (still fermenting). I've really done nothing more complex than steeping grains and I don't know how much more complex I want to go. But I may need to.

My wife has celiac disease and loves beer. Most of the gluten free beers we've tried are terribly sweet, don't hold a head, have low alcohol content, and don't taste very good at all. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes, but we've had a number of them and they just aren't very good (Bard's and Red Bridge seem to be the most beer-like). The best gluten free beer we had was at Deschutes Brewery in Portland, Or last summer and it was fantastic.

I decided to try my hand at a gluten free beer. I based the recipe off of Cherry's in the Snow. I used an all rice malt base, raspberries instead of cherries because of the season, and I added in some orange blossom honey for body and alcohol. It turned out wonderfully. The alcohol content was nearly 7% and it placed just out of the top 5 out of 110 beers in a local brewing competition (Held at 5 Seasons in Atlanta). So it is time to try some more gluten free beer recipes.

I currently looking for ways to build body and complexity. The rice based fruit beer was clean and crisp and my wife loves it but I want to give her some more options. I'm currently thinking of using oats to try to get a little more body in the beer. I'm very open to more gluten free recipes and options. Hopefully I'm in the right place.

Welcome from the southside of ATL, you will find out that there are a few brewers in your area that are members. Also check out http://inhbc.org that is our local club, we have quite a few brew days a year and lots of group buys for grain and hops. Plus Brewmasterswarhouse.com.

Welcome to HBT from E. Roswell!

Haven't looked into the Gluten free beers but hopefully you'll get some good info here, I've seen it discussed. I think I've seen a group dedicated here on HBT related to Gluten free, make sure to check them out as well.

:mug:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I will have to look into the Chestnut chips. I'm also trying to learn more about oatmeal. I need to learn a lot more about malting and toasting oatmeal but I've got my heart set on making a gluten free oatmeal, chocolate, coffee porter for my wife.

The gluten free section is nice. I'll have to dig into it when I've got more time and post the full recipe for the one I've made. I bought more fruit to make a second one last night. 5lbs of fresh blackberries and raspberries out of season was quite expensive. As soon as I get my gluten-ful coffee porter transferred to the secondary I can start my next gluten free project.

I need to get more involved in some of the things going on locally. If I could ever get my job to slow down, my house finished up, my old truck to run properly..... ah, the list never ends.

Latest posts

Back