How would this turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
6 lbs super light LME
2 lbs light DME

1 lb CaraAmber (mashed for 1 hour @ 150ish)

2 oz Centennial (6% AA) @ 60
1 oz Centennial (6% AA) @ 15
1 oz Centennial (6% AA) @ 5
2 oz Centennial (6% AA) @ 0

Yeast: Pacman harvested from bottle.

Any suggestions, changes?

Looks tasty. I like Centennial. You aren't going to really be mashing the CaraAmber though - I don't think it has any enzymes. You are really just steeping it, just like any other Caramel/crystal specialty grain. I'd steep at ~160 F for 20-30min. An hour is longer than you need.

Could be a good beer. Why not all LME? The color change from extra pale to pale is pretty minimal.

What style or commercial beer are you shooting for?

Eric

Makes sense. You should also dry hop with a couple ounces of centennial or the hop of your choice.

Eric
Indeed...I actually planned on it. Debating weather or not to go strictly with Centennial or dry hop with a mix of Centennial and Cascade.

Indeed...I actually planned on it. Debating weather or not to go strictly with Centennial or dry hop with a mix of Centennial and Cascade.

Centennial works great as a dry hop. I believe that Bell's Two Hearted Ale uses all centennial (correct me if I am wrong). You could also use cascade or Amarillo, which will give a similiar but slightly different aroma. A lot of great IPA recipes use those three hops, so you really can't go wrong.

Eric

If you lookup CaraAmber on the Weyermann website, they say use it at max 20% of the mash. That's because it lacks enzymes, like any caramel/crystal malt. So either steep it to get color/flavor, or add base malt to provide enzymes.

Back