How will this affect my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyts

Reaction score
I brewed an extract kit of Dogfish Head's Dark Star Licorice Stout on Monday evening. As per the instructions, I added the DME just as the water was about to boil. The kit called for 8 lbs of dark dry malt and 1 lb of light dry malt. Well I guess I misplaced the light dry malt and only added the 8 lbs of dark. The beer is bubbling away in the primary now. Any ideas on how this will affect the beer? If I understand things the color could be affected and that's not a worry for me. The thing I am worried about is if the fermentables will be enough to bring the FG in around the target. OG was spot on at 1.084. Any ideas? By the way this is the beer from Sam's Xtreme brewing book.

the purpose of the light DME was to boost the OG without further darkening the beer. you say you hit your OG, so you've got nothing to worry about.

That was my plan all along:). I didn't think there would be bad results , was just curious. There is so much to learn ( this is my 3rd brew) that anytime I make a mistake I try to learn from it The site is really full of great info and knowledgeable folks willing to help. Thanks! :rockin:

Back