How will I know if there is enough yeast for bottle carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudini56

Reaction score
So I gave up bottling a few years ago. Since then I have been kegging only. But today, I brewed a 10 gallon batch with a buddy of mine. I keg, he bottles.

We split the brew into 2 5 gallon fermenters, he took his 5 home and plans on sticking to the same schedule as me, but bottle it.

I made starters, each 1litre of my conan yeast.

How will I know he has enough yeast left over to carb his bottles?

I feel that if his wort ferments properly my little conan buds will be around when he adds priming sugar and bottles.

But, is there a way I can know for sure? OG is 1.069 - Exp fg 1.013 This yeast has been strong for me, this is batch #6 I have used it in, making starters for each, using 500ml of yeast/wort that was collected from a previous 1500ml starter. And repeated all along.

Any advice? I would hate to have him bottle, and not carb! That would be a waste of a lot of work, time and money!

Unless the bud does a wicked deep and protracted cold crash and manages to not suck up any yeast when racking to a bottling bucket, there will be plenty of yeast for conditioning.

That's worked for bazillions of bottles...

Cheers!

Thank you day_trippr. I guess I haven't thought about bottling in a long time!

There is heavy amounts of dry hopping in this batch, so I told him to try and leave a lot of trub behind. But I'm sure he will get the yeast still in suspension. It's a quick schedule should be bottled in 12 days

Back