How We Brew With Malted Gluten-Free Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because I'd like to see everyone on here who brews with malted GF grains weigh in on how they approach it. Rarely do we all-grain gluten-free brewers compare detailed notes, and I think it's something many would benefit from. Maybe it'll even make a sticky if we get enough replies?:rockin:

Specifically, can y'all answer the following questions:

1. Are your grains home-malted or commercially-malted?
2. What grains do you use, and how finely do you crush them?
3. What does your mash schedule look like? (i.e. specific temperatures and times held at those temperatures, decoctions/decantations/etc.)
4. What adjustments do you make to your water?
5. What equipment/setup do you use? (i.e. standard 3-tier, BIAB, etc.)
6. Do you add any enzymes?
7. Most importantly: what kind of efficiency do you get, and what kind of apparent attenuation do you get?
8. How satisfied are you with the process and the beer that results from it?
9. Feel free to add any thoughts on what you've tried that didn't work so well before you got to this stage.

I have 20# of sorghum going and am about to start soaking my millet. My set up for soaking is a 5 gallon holey bucket set in a kettle with a bulkhead. I fill it at night and drain it in the morning then dump the grains in a large plastic tray then turn miday and repeat. So far the sorghum is going nicely and I'll be starting the millet this Monday. I am not sure how I will kiln it but I think just a heater in a broken fridge should work.

I have no idea how the grains will work or even if they will mash but I have my hopes up. If the Australians can do it that why can't Americans?

Subscribed. My SWMBO just gluten intolerantisized herself. I don't know what it means, but she now gets sick when she eats anything with wheat. Like migraines and stomach issues. Were looking into going gluten-free, but I'm a little skeptical about GF beer. I'm looking to learn. Good thread!

Back