How to use pomegranate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamRay

Reaction score
Hey people. I recrntly made some sima which is a super simple recipe and got me relatively drunk as I hiked up the sugar measurement.

Since then I have been looking at other recipes for ciders and wines and they are all a bit ingredient heavy or out of my extremely limited budget.

I was wondering if I used;

20 litters of fresh squeezed pomegranate juice,
3kg of sugar
1 tea spoon of yeast.

Would I have a successful brew and how long should I let it brew?

Any info would be great.

Thank you.

If cost is a factor and quality is not then you can make wine with what you listed.
To make it a little "better" the yeast will need a little nutriant. You can use grape juice concentrate as part of your sugers, yeast does better with grape juice, so by adding some you give the yeast a bost. Not as good an adding a nutriant, but better then nothing.
Also cut the suger a bit, add the last of your suger after it has fermented the first sugers. This will be easier on the yeast. If you overwhelme the yeast with too much suger it will leave you with a sweet low abv wine.

Look up Applewine on this site. There is a super easy and cheep recipie. It is spelled very funny and I can't remember the correct spelling right now. Maybe someone will speak up with the correct spelling.

I just made a gallon of raspberry-pomegranate wine from bottled juice, and it came out great. I added 2 cups of corn sugar in primary, and added a mixture of ½ cup of raisins simmered in ½ cup of the juice for about 5 minutes to use as a yeast nutrient. It made a very flavorful semi-sweet table wine.

Thank you for the tips. In the end I went with two separate 5 gallon recipes it taste time I will be sure to post back on here. :) thank you all for your help. Apple wine next. :)

Thank you for the tips. In the end I went with two separate 5 gallon recipes it taste time I will be sure to post back on here. :) thank you all for your help. Apple wine next. :)

So the pomegranate wine came out unbearably dry.

And as you would expect the apple wine is fool proof and came out great.

Hiya AdamRay. One would hope all wines ferment brut dry. With fruit wines the thing to do is stabilize the wine (K-meta and K-sorbate) and add sugars to taste. The stabilizing will prevent any yeast cells that have not been removed by racking from fermenting the added sugars and the sugars you add will help bring out the fruity flavors and counterbalance the heat of the ethanol and the acidity of the fruit. Most fruit wines need some sweetness to help bring the flavors to the front. You might bench test to see how much sugar to add (so take known samples of the wine and add fixed amounts of sugar to the samples rather than dump a quantity of sugar into the whole batch) -but you might find that 4 oz of sugar per gallon is what you are looking for (or it could be 2 oz or 8 oz ... or ... or...)

Back