How to use Oats with a beer kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbogantes

Reaction score
Hello, I'm planning to improve a wheat kit from Coopers with 1 oz of dry orange peel plus 1 oz of coriander boiling the whole deal 10min.
Reading the book How to brew it says you should prepare the quick oats as directed on the package (0.5 - 1.5 lb per 5 gallon batch).

Am I gonna have the silky mouth feel just by doing that with oats?

Or do I need to mini-mash the oats with at least a pound of barley for the enzymes to work with it?

My understanding is you need to mini/partial mash the oats with 2-row or something similar to convert them. You can use flaked oats or you can use old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats). You do not need to "cook" them before hand. Just throw them into the mash with the barley. I like to toast mine very gently in the oven beforehand, but this is not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you use oats in an extract batch you can get the silky mouthfeel but there will be starches in the oats that won't be converted and will leave your beer cloudy. If you use them in a stout, you won't likely see that cloudiness but you aren't making a stout, you are making a wheat beer. Guess what? One of the features of wheat beers is their cloudiness. Sounds like you can put the oats in and not worry about mashing. Win for you.

My understanding is you need to mini/partial mash the oats with 2-row or something similar to convert them. You can use flaked oats or you can use old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats).

Quick/instant oats are fine. If they are rolled oats, they have been gelatinized by the rolling action. Cut oats need additonal preparation.

Back