How to use Kieselsol & Chitosan??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnofthWill

Reaction score
I just picked up some Kiesolsol & Chitosan from my LHBS and there are no instructions on how to use!! I want it to clear my 1 gallon of mead (JAOM). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oddly this is one of the first pages that pops up in a google search of "how to use kieselsol."

Not so oddly is the fact that the linked web page is returning a "404 page not found."

So for the posterity of all google'rs sake, here is a an actual answer...3 years later.

Add Kieselsol to carboy (5 or 6 gallon). Stir gently. Wait between 1 and 24 hours. Dissolve Chitosan in 1 fl.oz. of warm water. Add to carboy, stir gently. Attach airlock and bung. Clears brilliantly in 12-48 hours. May not clear pectin hazes or wine, etc, made with hard water.

Source: directions printed on pack of Liquor Quik Super-Kleer K.C.

I added gelatin to an apple cider and it instantly went cloudy. Apparently this is a known phenomenon that I learned the hard way. Having used gelatin on beer before with good results I figured I would just give it some time. 48 hours later and it was just as cloudy so I purchased some Super-Kleer and gave it a shot. Within 12 hours the haze had started to drop. At 24 hours it was pretty clear and at 48 hours it was extremely clear. The stuff is amazing and is all i'll use for my ciders from now on.

Add Kieselsol to carboy (5 or 6 gallon). Stir gently. Wait between 1 and 24 hours. Dissolve Chitosan in 1 fl.oz. of warm water. Add to carboy, stir gently. Attach airlock and bung. Clears brilliantly in 12-48 hours. May not clear pectin hazes or wine, etc, made with hard water.

How much Kieselsol does one have to add per liter (or gallon)?

It came in a package already dosed for 5-6 gallons. Both are liquid and it was maybe a tablespoon of kieselsol and 2 of the chitosan.

Hmm ok, because I received my Kieselsol and it is in granular form, and judging from your comment I was thinking "What, I can throw that stuff in as solid?"

sorry, i'm not much use here. The KC Super-Kleer is a liquid. I didn't find a lot of info on the internet when searching for "kieselsol." You might have better luck searching for a brand name if the powder has one. I found this page to be a lot of help on fining agents. That being said you probably won't screw anything up mixing a tablespoon (or whatever the package directions say) with 1/4 cup or so of water and dumping it into your carboy.

Back