how to thicken up a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ellas

Reaction score
My freind brewed an all grain ipa and it feels a little thin to the mouth. At what point in the brewing process can a beer be "thickened" and how?

Thanks!

My freind brewed an all grain ipa and it feels a little thin to the mouth. At what point in the brewing process can a beer be "thickened" and how?

Thanks!

It can done at bottling, if desired. The thing is, carbonation also enhances the perception of body so it's hard to gauge how much body that the beer needs at the point since you don't have a carbed up example to tweak.

You can use some maltodextrine powder along with the priming sugar to enhance body.

Flaked barley can really help with mouth-feel. I've done 4% milds and Scottish ales that had thin mouth-feel, but in similar recipes where I added a half pound of flaked barley (in 5 gallons), the beer was much more satisfying, and didn't seem watery.

Having a more substantial mouthfeel is generally associated with a high FG. The more sugar remaining after fermentation, generally the thicker the beer. Similarly, a thin beer will have fermented nearly all of its sugars.

To attain a higher FG, you need more unferementable sugars, which are exactly what they sound like! When you mash at higher temperatures (156F+), less fermentable sugars are created. When mashing at lower temps (148F) you create almost only fermentable sugars.

mashing at 148=thin beer
mashing at 156=thicker beer

flaked barley, and carapils are known to produce better mouthfeel and increase head retention.

Also, using yeast with lower attenuation will give a thicker beer. low attenuation=ferments less of the sugars available. American yeasts generally have higher attenuation, which results in a thinner beer when compares to its UK counterparts

Latest posts

Back