How to test jockey box without beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in an interesting predicament and I'd love the HBT community's help here... I brewed about 30 gallons of beer for my upcoming wedding and I built a jockey box. All of the beer that I've brewed and kegged is for the wedding, and none of it is quite ready yet. I'd really like to test out the jockey box I built BEFORE employing it at the wedding in order to test out its ability to appropriately chill warmish beer, resolve any foaming issues, and make sure the beverage doesn't freeze. My fiancee had the idea of getting a few gallons of knockoff sprite and putting it in some kegs under pressure and testing that, and I'm wondering what you all think about this. I do have four empty kegs, so I could easily do this... The jockey box is a 3-tap jockey box that uses a 6-pass cold plate in it. Since it is a 6-pass cold plate, I am using jumpers to pass each line through the plate twice. If you have other ideas, I'd really like to hear them!

Soda is carbed pretty high - like well above 4 volumes - so I'm not sure if you'll gain any insight versus just using water...

Cheers!

I love the idea of just getting some cheap beer. Damn, why didn't I think about that? I agree about the carb level of soda too, was wondering about that. Well its settled then! I'll get a 24 pack of pabst and run it through. And yes, I'll be happy to post some pics: ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405878070.734367.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405878223.423938.jpg[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405878179.699867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405878179.699867.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 189
fwiw, if you were able to slip those beer lines on all those barbs without at least having to warm them up, you might think about adding clamps for insurance against a memorably tragic outcome at the party...

Cheers!

I interested to see how this goes. I just ordered the parts for my jockey box build. I really like the wood and fiberglass build I just on here recently. But I don't think I'll have time to build it before my wedding in 4-weeks.

How about using something like this...
http:// https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

You'll want to flush the lines before and after use anyway.
If you just run water through you'll get an idea of how cold the beer will be on the other end. I wouldn't worry too much about foaming if the lines are long enough.
+1 on the comment above RE clamps.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a full set-up dry run before the wedding day. You won't loose much beer if you poor a pint from you wedding beer prior to the big day.

fwiw, if you were able to slip those beer lines on all those barbs without at least having to warm them up, you might think about adding clamps for insurance against a memorably tragic outcome at the party...

Cheers!

Nope, I most definitely had to soak the lines in boiling water first... Even then they were a PITA to get on! I doubt they will be going anywhere...

How about using something like this...
http:// https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

You'll want to flush the lines before and after use anyway.
If you just run water through you'll get an idea of how cold the beer will be on the other end. I wouldn't worry too much about foaming if the lines are long enough.
+1 on the comment above RE clamps.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a full set-up dry run before the wedding day. You won't loose much beer if you poor a pint from you wedding beer prior to the big day.

I actually built one of those for my kegerator a few years back and was planning on using it to sanitize the lines.

I actually just went to the store and bought about 48 cans of Miller for around $25. 48 cans makes up about 4.5 gallons, and I'll split it into three kegs and pour away over the course of a day. I really, want to make sure I've got this draft box dialed in and know how it works, because I really don't want to spend much time at all during my wedding playing around with it.

I interested to see how this goes. I just ordered the parts for my jockey box build. I really like the wood and fiberglass build I just on here recently. But I don't think I'll have time to build it before my wedding in 4-weeks.

I understand! I also wanted to do a wood and fiberglass build, but it just wasn't feasible for me either... And honestly, building the jockey box was not without its own issues, and I am now very glad that I didn't try to build a box on top of getting everything else sorted out. BTW, if you want a parts list or anything from my build, PM me and I'd be happy to send it to you.

Looks great!

Just a hint, get someone else to operate, oversee, and maintain the jockey box on your wedding day. Train him or her well before that time, if needed. The last thing you want is deal with all those details. You'll be busy enough and need time to relax and enjoy your own party, as well as keep the bride happy. It's a good investment.

Latest posts

Back