Jockey Box Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
We have a guys weekend coming up at the end of July, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get two kegs of homebrew and serve chilled. I've settled on taking a two tap jockey box for the weekend. I could build my own, but honestly with what the coils cost as well as faucets, I'm likely going to buy one that is pre-built. Here's two questions.

1) Our "weekend" really spans from Wednesday to Sunday, so should I get a plate chiller or the coils?
2) My LHBS has a two-faucet jockey box for sale that is only $220, but the cooler is a 24 qt cooler. I'm thinking that I'm going to be messing with ice all weekend. Should I get the larger 48 qt coolers that are readily available online?

Any other thoughts on this? I can't see myself using this box but for a few times a year, so I don't want to break the bank. My kegerator set up is only two faucets, and my CO2 has a split dual regulator so I will just take all of this and leave the kegerator behind.

I have one I built, it was originally two taps then I added two more. I pretty much add ice every day in the summer. It's a 54 qt. Igloo. I've owned better coolers with more insulation (but not a Yeti) and it's pretty typical that you add ice about every 24-36 hours in the summertime. Sure you can play the game of moving them around and keeping them in the deepest shade and maybe heavy blankets but that presents its own inconveniences. Campgrounds typically have ice available or it is available nearby. Easiest to do is rotate ice responsibility for an ice run daily by one person and incorporate it into whatever daily activity you are doing. I've got a wagon that's great for toting stuff down to the pool and hauling ice back to the site. Or, just grab ice on the way back from the trailhead or sightseeing.

You have to also recognize that even if the cooler is well insulated, the keg isn't and the beer needs to be cooled. It's difficult to start the trip with a chilled keg depending on the length of the drive, the keg will generally by warmer than serving temp. So the ice isn't directly melting from the atmospheric heat, it's melting from absorbing the heat of the beer itself. I built a couple of insulated cozies for the kegs which can help though for the first day but by day two they aren't quite as helpful. They'll lag the nighttime cooling some for any lunchtime beers but not much else!

I lean towards recommending the 48 qt. It holds more ice and nothing is stopping you from throwing some bottles, cans, and growlers in there. I used to be able to fit two growlers inside the two coils before I added the second pair of taps. On the other hand though, I have considered building a little one or maybe two tap box for overnights or a smaller gathering. Maybe to use with one or two 3 gallon kegs. Could be more useful depending on your camping style and it would be a little more portable. Space may be a concern for packing.

Thanks, that's a great reply. We will actually be able to store the beer and cooler inside, so that will help on ice melting. But, I expect we'll need to refresh the ice 3-4 times over the course of the long weekend. I like your suggestion of the larger box should I ever want to upgrade and add another faucet down the road.

It adds to your ice demand (and investment cost), but in addition to jockey box, I also use these bag coolers to keep the kegs cold - similar daily top up of ice.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/c...MIn-aSl4LE-AIV9TE4Ch0qGwUAEAQYASABEgJeHfD_BwE

For jockey box, this one has a high quality cooler with 50’ SS coil, but only one tap for a pretty good price.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...MI8tyOzoLE-AIVEG5vBB05gQ1fEAQYAyABEgLMW_D_BwE
I can’t find online the one I bought pre-made, or would send you that link, but I got from AIH a two tap with 50’ coils each for good deal at a little over $200.

My bad reading...I've got a fourth of July camping trip coming up and whenever I think of my jockey box I am thinking camping! Consider that sort of your worst case scenario.

Inside and out of any direct sun will be cooler and if there is A/C even better. If there is a fridge inside, you can put bottled water into the freezer to reduce your ice load, or even rotate some 2 liter bottles filled with water. I have moved up to a travel trailer and I do the bottled water freezing but the freezer is rather small for anything else. I will also throw a 1/2 bag of ice in there if there is extra and you could just fill any freezer space with extra bagged ice.

if you can, use a mix of 75% water and 25% ice in the jockey box with the coils. cover to the top and if you have some foam insulation, put it into the top of the jockey box to take up the dead space, it helps keep it cold. also, wrap the kegs in the silver insulated foil like a blanket to help keep those cold as well.

Back