How to test heavy metals in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
I want to verify no heavy metals (especially lead) are leaking from my equipment, is there any kit I can get that will achieve this?, I don't have any private labs in my country that can perform this test.
10x

How about testing your equipment for surface lead contamination?
715QcPWCOLL._SL1409_.jpg

Cheers!

Ohhhh cool 10x, the thing I'm worried about is a brass fittings in my kettle (not sure it is brass that is why I want to check) , so will it work on brass?

How old is it? Most brass fitting sold for liquid plumbing now days are lead free.... its a new mandatory compliance that takes effect in 2015 if I remember right in ant case I bet that test kit costs about as much as a lead free brass or even cheap stainless replacement fitting.

I believe the acidity of the worth pulls the surface lead from the brass into the beer so unless you have the first batch or two for testing your results may be negative by now.

Hi all
Thank you very much.
The kettle is about one year ago but I still didn't used it :(
So what you are saying is to use this test after 1-2 batches? If I will use it before it will not detect the lead?

[...]
So what you are saying is to use this test after 1-2 batches?
If I will use it before it will not detect the lead?

You have his point backwards: the more you use your brewing gear, the less likely there will be any lead remaining to trigger a positive test result...

Cheers!

Ohhhh ok 10x
So just test it after each batch will be the best thing to do right?
Do you know any test that I can use on the wort itself? (Probably this will be the test)
If you also a test to check the wort for more heavy metals will be great.
Thanks

Is there any test kit to check the wort it self?
10x

Back