How to tell when keg is getting empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are all for non-metallic containers though, right?

Here's another one. It says that there are no special requirements for either liquid or container, and that it works with pressure vessels.
https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/gravity-non-contact-liquid-level-sensor.html#product-reviews

If I were on the hunt for something like this, I'd contact my local industrial supplier. Where I am, that's Gregg's Distributors or Amre Supply. You may not have these where you are but you will have something similar.

Yes, if you use the AC/USB adapter. On batteries they shut off after about a minute, then re-tare to zero if the weight is still on it. It's funny one scale says 90 lb and one says 60, but they are the same model number and identical. About $21 on Amazon

I have always found a fullproof method is that when you suspect a keg is on its last leg and figure you will kill it, it will flow all night and you will get drunk and regret it in the morning. Then the next day when you go to take a pull off of the neverending keg you will get less than a glass worth out of it before it kicks. Never fails.

LOL! Yes, this happened to me twice! The mistery never-ending keg. But like bracconiere I also started using one of these basic counters. All my beer friends are properly trained to click it. Before that, I used a manual tally on a glass table with a glass pen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanical...462827?hash=item4d7ed669eb:g:1M8AAOSwoDlbw2MQ

I just do my best to stay ahead of the curve, and I was until a 5 gallon carboy filled with cider broke when I started a pressure transfer, only 3-5 psi and a big ole chunk went flying and cider gushing everywhere! I was able save 3 quarts. I'm almost caught up again tho, thanks to kveik! Now i can go back to low and slow for a few batches. Aurora kveik is in the wings waiting to be pitched in a few days to keep the train rolling!

I just do my best to stay ahead of the curve,

yeah i know the feeling, i thought i finally had my drinking under control back in 2018...so naturally i plugged in my other fridge and thought, hell i'll start doing lagers! needless to say i lost control of my drinking, and i haven't been able to recover....i have a fridge that fits 6 kegs, and recently i'm having trouble keeping two in it....

yeah i know the feeling, i thought i finally had my drinking under control back in 2018...so naturally i plugged in my other fridge and thought, hell i'll start doing lagers! needless to say i lost control of my drinking, and i haven't been able to recover....i have a fridge that fits 6 kegs, and recently i'm having trouble keeping two in it....

I saw that you just finished 10 gallons in 5 days(?) using turbo yeast, that's one way to keep the fridge full!
Btw, I'm "lagering" a cider now...

I saw that you just finished 10 gallons in 5 days(?) using turbo yeast, that's one way to keep the fridge full!
Btw, I'm "lagering" a cider now...

yes i did, yes i did....i thought it was 4 days though? at any rate it's in the fridge, and i have one other keg of brüt porter i'm working on while the cider carbs...i'm also fermenting a farmhouse pale now too...hoping to finally get back to normal after 2 years of barley getting by

Good luck with the cider! :) as tom petty said ( i think) "the waiting is the hardest part"!

I just use chalkboard tape on the fridge and under each beer name, I just make a check marks for every beer poured, be it a 12 oz pour or 16 oz, it gets one mark, filling a growler gets 5 marks, when I get close to 40 marks I know the keg is getting close to kicking.

Back