How to survive the US as an bavarian immigrant without Augustiner Helles on Tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeise

Reaction score
... you gotta learn to DIY.... !

Hi Guys,

as indicated in the headline, I immigrated to the US from Bavaria.

My first thought after a day in my new home:

"If you want to survive here, you'll need to learn to bake bread and brew beer!"

So Mission "quadruple B" has started.

Done the bread baking part, having fermented my own sour dough - her name is Betty - from scratch. Betty dwells in my fridge happily and provides me with a fresh starter each week to bake bread that tastes like "bread" as opposed to bread that tastes like foamed up kleenex with way to much sugar... But now to something much more sophisticated.

I honestly, truly and seriously intend to brew a Munich Lager that in an ideal world will taste exactly like Augustiner Helles on Tap.

Given the complexity of the issue of brewing, I will probably spend the next 6-12 month reading and gathering information as well as equipment.

That's all for now.
Thanks for reading!

Sauerdough is awesome! I have cut back on my carbs and wheat, though, and it's not generally in my diet.

I will be looking forward to your experiments with this beer. The one thing I hesitate to purchase is European beers. I don't think they are likely to be fresh on the shelves. The exception is Oktoberfest beers, which are seasonal so I know when they were brought over. Some of them are very good!

Some day I will have the whole LAGER thing down pat and might be able to reproduce some of them as well as I want to.

Welcome to the board/country!

Good luck on the pursuit of the perfect pint. In the mean time, be sure to take in some good American craft beers. We've come a looooooooong way in the last few years (just say away from those light blue cans with the word "LITE" on them ;)).

Cheers! :mug:

The below is not an Augustiner clone, however, I think it's a great tasting Helles.

I'd love to see your sour dough recipe, if you'd be willing to post it. Prost!

Hofbrauhaus Munich Helles
5.5 gallon
80% Efficentcy
OG: 1.043

9 lb – German pils
0.5 lb – Caramel Malt 10L
0.25 lb – Belgian Aromatic Malt

Mash: 151 for 60 minutes
90 minute boil

Hops
2 oz – Hersbrucker, Perle or Tettnanger (bittering @ 60 min)

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

I honestly, truly and seriously intend to brew a Munich Lager that in an ideal world will taste exactly like Augustiner Helles on Tap.

!

Willkommen heißen

Cool intro man. Had the pleasure of spending a summer in beautiful Munich many years ago. Still think about the beautiful beer, food and other sights to be seen.

Here's a recipe for a Munich Helles that may be similar to what you're looking for. Lots of good ones in the database

lowenbrau-482x298.jpg

*in my best Fry from Futurama meme voice*
Not sure if asking for advice ... but I know you're gonna get it.

Welcome to Amerika!

My first advice, don't be afraid to go local. If I moved to Germany among my first things would be immersing myself in the local food and drink traditions. I for instance am in the southeast and make wonderful country vegetables, a few fried delicacies, BBQ, skillet bread, red beans & rice, jambalaya, gumbo, and more because it's 'my' food and it's what's local and what my mother and grandmother and more taught me to cook.

If I were to start cooking lobster and chowder or taking on the foods of the Am. Southwest or ranch style cooking I'm absolutely positive that generally speaking I'm not going to cook those as well as things I'm intimately familiar with and that are local.

Saying all that, it's a double edged sword or I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth. Yes, you being thoroughly German, and moreso from whatever region you hail, are going to be intimately familiar with the flavors and cooking styles of your homeland. Yes you should keep that going. However in the U.S. you have access to the widest variety of beer and beer styles at a high quality that the world has probably ever seen. Particularly access to quality hops and other ingredients for homebrewers is unparalleled in history.

In your cooking and brewing pursuits I fully support your efforts to stay connected with the motherland. However in your local environment find what's good there. Enjoy what your area has to offer. Seek out the best there and eventually pursue learning to cook/brew it. Translation: Go Native but stay connected. Your ingredients locally are going to be freshest and most easily available. Example: If I walk into a store here crawfish boil is easily available. If I walk into a store in Virginia crab boil is easily available.

Advice #2 - as for Helles brewing. Buy and read 'New Brewing Lager Beer: The Most Comprehensive Book for Home and Microbrewers' by Gregory Noonan. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381829/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The chapter on water alone will be worth the $10-15 and more.

Advice #3 - Helles is a very simple style to brew as lagers go. I'm starting lager brewing this winter for the first time so I'll spare you inexperienced advice. I do know as far as all brewing goes it's best to keep it simple and that especially goes for a straightforward beer like Helles or Uhr Bock. I will say this, in my research Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager/White Labs WLP830(same strain) yeast is probably the most forgiving strain relative to temperature fluctuation. The other strain that is most popular is probably WLP 833 which is German Bock Yeast.

Bonus Advice #4 - Look at Kai Troester's website. He's a German import like you and very much into the technical side of brewing and has been a blessing to the homebrew community. He is into lager brewing and should be a good source for you. webpage here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Braukaiser.com

Brewing can be as technical or as relaxed as you want it to be. My advice is to buy a simple brewing kit, READ A LOT, and get brewing just for the experience. Experience will teach you a lot of what you don't want to do. Brewing is a lifetime pursuit. You will not 'nail' your brew the first time out. However I've no doubt depending on how dedicated and perhaps even lucky you are you will get where you want to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauerdough is awesome! I have cut back on my carbs and wheat, though, and it's not generally in my diet.

I will be looking forward to your experiments with this beer. The one thing I hesitate to purchase is European beers. I don't think they are likely to be fresh on the shelves. The exception is Oktoberfest beers, which are seasonal so I know when they were brought over. Some of them are very good!

Some day I will have the whole LAGER thing down pat and might be able to reproduce some of them as well as I want to.

after all a cool brew kettle looks much like a witches cauldron so I feel quite at home :)

I did buy Weihenstephan, Augustiner, Kronenbourg and some others from the self here... Not comparable to drinking them at home but good enough to survive... unfortunately they sell only Augustiner Edelstoff, no Helles.

I am reading about brewing since I had the idea to try it, yet I feel like I need much more knowledge. I wont be starting to brew anything other than Kombucha soon, yet I will start repurposing an old fridge... gotta have your fermenting chamber ready if you aim at Helles :)

Thanks for the nice welcome here!

Welcome to the board/country!

Good luck on the pursuit of the perfect pint. In the mean time, be sure to take in some good American craft beers. We've come a looooooooong way in the last few years (just say away from those light blue cans with the word "LITE" on them ;)).

Cheers! :mug:

haha :) I mistrust anybody who drinks Bud or Millers and calls it "beer" :)

Thank you :)

I do have some really cool Micro breweries in my "back yard" ... like 3 to 15 miles away with awesome beers. And I happen to have found the coolest place to work with over 20 local and imported draft beers on tap and uncountable bottled ones from around the world and from small US Breweries so I am learning a lot and actually am discovering lots of great brews...

The below is not an Augustiner clone, however, I think it's a great tasting Helles.

Hofbrauhaus Munich Helles
5.5 gallon
80% Efficentcy
OG: 1.043

9 lb – German pils
0.5 lb – Caramel Malt 10L
0.25 lb – Belgian Aromatic Malt

Mash: 151 for 60 minutes
90 minute boil

Hops
2 oz – Hersbrucker, Perle or Tettnanger (bittering @ 60 min)

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

Sounds like it is worth a try... in a couple of month when I am ready.
Thank you!
I won't start anything until I have figured out how to get the water right.
One thing after living in Munich is that you become a true water snob and I learned so far, that the Munich water extracts more flavor from the malt due to its chemical composition...
also I learned that Augustiner separates the grains from the spelt and cooks the spelt separately to add it later to the brew...

I'll try this though... and will keep you guys posted if I poisoned my self :)

Willkommen heißen

Cool intro man. Had the pleasure of spending a summer in beautiful Munich many years ago. Still think about the beautiful beer, food and other sights to be seen.

Here's a recipe for a Munich Helles that may be similar to what you're looking for. Lots of good ones in the database

lowenbrau-482x298.jpg

Thank you Guys :)

this is great! I feel very inspired to force myself to get on with this in a timely manner and not taking forever until I finally think I have read enough.

*in my best Fry from Futurama meme voice*
Not sure if asking for advice ... but I know you're gonna get it.

Welcome to Amerika!

My first advice, don't be afraid to go local. If I moved to Germany among my first things would be immersing myself in the local food and drink traditions. I for instance am in the southeast and make wonderful country vegetables, a few fried delicacies, BBQ, skillet bread, red beans & rice, jambalaya, gumbo, and more because it's 'my' food and it's what's local and what my mother and grandmother and more taught me to cook.

If I were to start cooking lobster and chowder or taking on the foods of the Am. Southwest or ranch style cooking I'm absolutely positive that generally speaking I'm not going to cook those as well as things I'm intimately familiar with and that are local.

Saying all that, it's a double edged sword or I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth. Yes, you being thoroughly German, and moreso from whatever region you hail, are going to be intimately familiar with the flavors and cooking styles of your homeland. Yes you should keep that going. However in the U.S. you have access to the widest variety of beer and beer styles at a high quality that the world has probably ever seen. Particularly access to quality hops and other ingredients for homebrewers is unparalleled in history.

In your cooking and brewing pursuits I fully support your efforts to stay connected with the motherland. However in your local environment find what's good there. Enjoy what your area has to offer. Seek out the best there and eventually pursue learning to cook/brew it. Translation: Go Native but stay connected. Your ingredients locally are going to be freshest and most easily available. Example: If I walk into a store here crawfish boil is easily available. If I walk into a store in Virginia crab boil is easily available.

Advice #2 - as for Helles brewing. Buy and read 'New Brewing Lager Beer: The Most Comprehensive Book for Home and Microbrewers' by Gregory Noonan. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381829/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The chapter on water alone will be worth the $10-15 and more.

Advice #3 - Helles is a very simple style to brew as lagers go. I'm starting lager brewing this winter for the first time so I'll spare you inexperienced advice. I do know as far as all brewing goes it's best to keep it simple and that especially goes for a straightforward beer like Helles or Uhr Bock. I will say this, in my research Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager/White Labs WLP830(same strain) yeast is probably the most forgiving strain relative to temperature fluctuation. The other strain that is most popular is probably WLP 833 which is German Bock Yeast.

Bonus Advice #4 - Look at Kai Troester's website. He's a German import like you and very much into the technical side of brewing and has been a blessing to the homebrew community. He is into lager brewing and should be a good source for you. webpage here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Braukaiser.com

Brewing can be as technical or as relaxed as you want it to be. My advice is to buy a simple brewing kit, READ A LOT, and get brewing just for the experience. Experience will teach you a lot of what you don't want to do. Brewing is a lifetime pursuit. You will not 'nail' your brew the first time out. However I've no doubt depending on how dedicated and perhaps even lucky you are you will get where you want to go.

OMG!
Thank you, Thank you, thank you!

Great information and I can relate to all of it!
Will add the book to my collection (I did buy and read some before signing up here)

I'll keep you guys posted on my experiment :)

Thank you all so much! :)
Happy to be here!

Last edited by a moderator:
oh... and I will absolutely share my sourdough recipe. Will do that tonight after work :)

Thanks Guys :)

Guten Tag... welcome to the forum and the country. Pennsylvania is a nice country. If you ever get a chance, you ought to come further south, though, even if just for a visit. :) We're very friendly here in the southern USA.

Augustiner is a tough one to clone. You may want to try WLP 860 once it becomes available again. I'm not sure what the source of that strain is, but in my opinion it deserves the name "Munich Helles".

And don't become too fixated, even a native southern German can learn to love the occasional Cali Common or brown ale. Use your brewing powers for variety!

I feel with you. I immigrated from Austria to Canada, finding me in the same situation.

- I built a wood fired oven
- I built a steam sauna
- and now I'm brewing beer!

:drunk:

Default How to survive the US as an bavarian immigrant without Augustiner Helles on Tap?

Do what countless immigrants before you have done. Take your knowledge of what's available in the "old country" and adapt it to what's plentiful here, and create something great. (you're doing that already with the bread; the flour here is different)

I feel with you. I immigrated from Austria to Canada, finding me in the same situation.

- I built a wood fired oven
- I built a steam sauna
- and now I'm brewing beer!

:drunk:

*haha :)
yet, I have no intend of ever going back except for vacation ...
wood fired oven is on my list as well...

Guten Tag... welcome to the forum and the country. Pennsylvania is a nice country. If you ever get a chance, you ought to come further south, though, even if just for a visit. :) We're very friendly here in the southern USA.

Thank you :)
I love it here... and I have been to NC and Florida and Texas... and you are right, people are much less neurotic and seem more relaxed and friendly the further down from NYC one is going.

Augustiner is a tough one to clone. You may want to try WLP 860 once it becomes available again. I'm not sure what the source of that strain is, but in my opinion it deserves the name "Munich Helles".

And don't become too fixated, even a native southern German can learn to love the occasional Cali Common or brown ale. Use your brewing powers for variety!

I found some really good beers here - I was quite amazed on the other hand it is logical, that once you are not bound to purification laws (Reinheitsgebot) you can actually do some pretty awesome stuff.

I guess I will experiment a lot with sour and gose beers as well as unhopped gruit beers. The idea of herbal mixtures to add bitterness is quite appealing to me.

But since the idea of brewing myself originated from the inconceivable lack of Augustiner, that will be my goal first.

and I also see it a bit like painting: you must know the basics and gain mastership in traditional methods before you are truly qualified for experimenting with abstraction...

Do what countless immigrants before you have done. Take your knowledge of what's available in the "old country" and adapt it to what's plentiful here, and create something great. (you're doing that already with the bread; the flour here is different)

so true! and thank you :)

Everything is just slightly different even when it looks the same... but once you adjust you can actually work magic :)

absolutely

here we go:

for the sourdough starter you need a clean (sanitized) jar with a screw on cap.

50 gr of rye flour (that is just short of a 1/4 cup)
same amount of warm water

stir together in the jar - the dough should have the consistency of pancake batter - add more water if it is to dense.
Close the lid but don't screw it on, just put it on top so it is not sealed and put in your oven with the oven light on. The light will heat up the oven just enough to provide the warm environment the dough needs.

repeat adding 50 gr. rye flour and same amount or little more of warm water for three days.

After day three your dough should smell sour and have tiny bubbles on the surface. If it doesn't add more warm water, no more flour and leave it in the oven with the light on for 24 more hours.

If it is not bubbling now, you may dump it and restart.
If it has bubble holes - congratulation you have your everlasting sourdough starter.
if you have used too much water, it might not bubble, yet it will have a layer of liquid on the surface - but you should see bubble-holes through the jar in the dough... if it smells sour but a little bit nutty it is still good just too wet.

To bake a bread from it:

In a small mixing bowl mix the starter dough with
1 tablespoon of rye flour and
2 tablespoons warm water

cover with cling wrap put back into oven with the light on.

Over the next 6-8 hours keep adding small amounts of rye flour and water. It should look like pancake batter.

After 8 hours your dough should smell like nuts and only slightly sour and it should be bubbling if not foaming.

Put 50gr. aside in a sanitized jar, add 1 tbs rye flour and 2 tbs water, close the jar and store in the fridge.
(To bake new bread from the starter in the fridge you repeat the add flour and warm water for 6-8 hours) and you always keep your starter for the next bread repeating the steps above each time.

Bread Dough:

1. add 350gr. rye flour and 350 ml warm water to your starter dough.
Cover with cling wrap, leave in the oven for 12 hours.

2. in a large mixing bowl mix
550 gr rye flour
450 gr all purpose flour

make a dent in the middle

add a pinch of brown sugar and 15 gr dry yeast into the dent, cover with warm water. Let the yeast dissolve.

3. add 15 gr salt and 1.5 tbs of crushed coriander seeds

4. mix together adding water if needed. I have a special kitchen aid for yeast dough. Not sure if you can do it without one of those.

5. cover mixing bowl with a clean towel and let the dough rest for 30 min.

6. spread rye flour on a clean surface

7. mix 15 gr salt and 1.5 tbs of crushed coriander and spread them on the flour

8. roll your dough in the flour/spices and form a round bread

9. put a clean towel in a bowl and sprinkle flour on it.

10. put your bread in that bowl and cover with a clean towel.

11. let the dough rise until it has almost doubled in size (roughly 1-2 hours)

12. preheat oven to 260°C (500°F)

13. put one baking tray as far down in the oven one into the middle and one as far on top as possible.

14. take bread from the bowl, wet the top with water, put bread on middle tray

15. fill lowest tray with water

16. reduce heat to 230°C/445°F

17. bake for 15 min.

18. get rid of the baking tray that held the water. Leave the one on top in the oven

19. let the bread bake for roughly an hour to finish.

It sounds worse and more work than it is. You just need good timing because most of the time is waiting for the dough to do its thing.

I usually don't use the spices for the crust. It is quite tasty without them or sometimes only sprinkle some coriander on top.

instead of coriander seeds I vary with ground cumin or just salt and if you want a lighter bread use more all purpose than rye flour...

after a while of practice you can leave the yeast out because your dough will rise from the sour dough alone.

The dough in storage usually gets the liquid on the surface, that is a good thing.

Wow! ... and I kept saying: Austria has nothing but Vienna, Mountains and Home Depot (Baumärkte)... you are living proof of my theory!

Nice Job, man!

Hello! I understand your pain and frustration more than you know!

I just have returned from a wonderful beer conquest in Germany! It has solidified my original thoughts of German beer as world's best.

Among my travels I drank A LOT of great beer and a few stood out as exemplary. Beers such as Mahr's "U" and Augustiner Helles were beers I wanted to replicate because you can only drink them there fresh to really enjoy them fully.

I set out to replicate them and here's what I have done.

Yeast: these three yeasts I strongly believe are the Augustiner yeast:

1. Brewing science institutes' Augustiner Lager. Only available in 1BBL size.

2. White labs Munich Helles only available in Spring.

3. Wyeast Munich II available in Fall. Get it now!!

Hops: I only add a small amount of bittering hops at 60 min and the even less at 20 min left in the boil for flavoring. No aroma hops as I want malt aroma to be dominant.

Water: I have relatively hard water so I back add 40% distilled or RO water to soften.

Malt: you can only use german Malts but this goes without saying. I used pils and added a little carafoam for head retention.

I understand your dilemma with my whole heart. I drank gallons of Augustiner helles when in Munich so I had to make my own. Good luck to you!

... you gotta learn to DIY.... !

Hi Guys,

as indicated in the headline, I immigrated to the US from Bavaria.

My first thought after a day in my new home:

"If you want to survive here, you'll need to learn to bake bread and brew beer!"

So Mission "quadruple B" has started.

Done the bread baking part, having fermented my own sour dough - her name is Betty - from scratch. Betty dwells in my fridge happily and provides me with a fresh starter each week to bake bread that tastes like "bread" as opposed to bread that tastes like foamed up kleenex with way to much sugar... But now to something much more sophisticated.

Given the complexity of the issue of brewing, I will probably spend the next 6-12 month reading and gathering information as well as equipment.

That's all for now.
Thanks for reading!

Welcome!!! I visit Munich every other year and have a blast. Hanging out at the AugustinerKeller drinking the best beer in the world is always a highlight of out trips. We start in Munich and travel to a few different places and then back to Munich at the end of our 8 or 9 days. Next year, I think we are heading to either Bamberg or Stuttgart. Maybe try the Stuttgart festival next fall. We try and do some brew tours too. I've done Andechs and Weihenstephan brewery. So much fun!!

I'm lucky enough to be able to find Augustiner, Andechs and most German beers locally.

Welcome!!! I visit Munich every other year and have a blast. Hanging out at the AugustinerKeller drinking the best beer in the world is always a highlight of out trips. We start in Munich and travel to a few different places and then back to Munich at the end of our 8 or 9 days. Next year, I think we are heading to either Bamberg or Stuttgart. Maybe try the Stuttgart festival next fall. We try and do some brew tours too. I've done Andechs and Weihenstephan brewery. So much fun!!

I'm lucky enough to be able to find Augustiner, Andechs and most German beers locally.

If you are heading to Stuttgart, try to get "Tannenzäpfle" somewhere. Quite good as well.

They do sell Augustiner here but only "Edelstoff" not the "Helles" and I can order most of the "Big Names"...

Glad to hear that you are a fan of Munich lagers as well! I find it amazing what a huge difference there is taste wise from Augustiner to any other German Lager, let alone any Lager from anywhere else.

Mia San Mia !

haha! that awkward second my brain needed to switch to bavarian dialect ;)

*lol

purchased my grains and yeast and hops for my wit beer attempt today.

Guys in the homebrew shop are amazing and the store is awesome!
Will spend many hours there I guess :)

Schau'n mer mal :)

Huge shout out to the new home brew supply shop that just opened in my neighborhood, J & M Brewing, that has all you could need to get your fermentation going be it vino or Bier.

Im another week away from firing up the kettle but still need to nail down the water profile for a helles.

I've been working on updating the old mumme' recipe i found to add to my collection of German beers. Upper Bavaria keeps calling me, reminding me of my ancestry...:mug:

Back