Last of the 1981 Courage Imperial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyhowe

Reaction score
Well it finally ended. We finally tapped the last bottle of 1981 Courage Imperial Russian Stout. 36 years in the bottle. Over 30 years stored in my wine cellar.
Back in early 1980's my beer brewing buddy and I were reading and lusting over Michael Jacksons description of downing a 12 year old Courage IRS.. "it poured like liquid gold" he said. 12 years old!!! Are you kidding me!!
In 1983 my guy went to tour around England. And part of the mission was to return with a few bottles of the gold of which was becoming legend. His several week trip was coming to an end with no luck; and he asked everywhere. Finally a barkeep gave him the number of a friend who worked at courage. My guy called him up, (he still remembers his name to this day) and after some time suggested a specific bar in London that may have some. As they headed back to London to fly home, he was on a mission. Find this damn bar. A few tube rides and lots of directions later he was there. After introductions the old man went down into the cellar and came up with a green milk carton like contraption holding somewhere around 9-10 bottles, I can't remember exactly. Dusty as hell. They were carried on the plane just like that, and rode home on his lap. I am not sure he ever put them down.

When home, we sampled and split the booty. For what every reason, I tucked one bottle away for that special day. That special day was Sunday March 12, 2017. No significance in the date other than I had not seen my buddy in about 20+ years, and it was time to end the drought.
I always remembered the brew. I compared every other IRS I had with that to this day. Many folks seem to think that it is just a high alcohol stout, but its not. I am not sure, but it had this remarkable nose of treacle and alcohol, and I really don't know what. But I have never found anything quite like it, and I have tried so many of them over the years.

We ceremoniously slid the bottle out of the cellar. Carbonation was our biggest concern. We thought way back when to encapsulate the cap in wax, but never did. We take the obligatory pictures of us holding the bottle, then I video him opening it; ear to the cap. fissszssst, ever so dainty and light, but it was there. In his best NASA launch voice, "WE HAVE CARBONATION" .
The beer was black dark, but bright all the same. One side and the bottom of the bottle were black-hole-level black with sediment. It was generally flat, but we knew we had the protective layer of that small amount of CO2 to rely on. He took the first big swallow and said, oh my god, then started laughing. "Well, well!!? is it any good?? " He would not say a thing, not wanting to sway my thoughts. I took the glass. That same remarkable strong smell of anise, alcohol and molasses was still deep and thick. And now with a beautiful nose of strong black vanilla added to the mix. It tasted F'ing incredible. We were so hopeful, but to be honest could not believe how good it was.
Did I mention it was F'ing incredible! 36 years in the bottle. 170 ml of bliss.

Quite a moment. Thanks for listening.

image.jpg

Dude. Awesome story! I love stuff like this. How special for 2 buds to end a 20 year drought with such a special bottle. Cheers to you all and thanks so much for sharing!!

Out of curiosity have you tried any of the clone recipes? I see there's a few out there on the web. Wondering if they're even close

Great read. Just snatched up two bottles of this, 2012 edition. Am putting it away. Maybe for my sons high school graduation. He's 7. The place had 6 left, along with some chimay, and other good stuff.

Great read. Just snatched up two bottles of this, 2012 edition. Am putting it away. Maybe for my sons high school graduation. He's 7. The place had 6 left, along with some chimay, and other good stuff.

I think 1981 was the last run.

Back