How to spend 5 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregc1973

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just started brewing, and I'm working on my pipeline. My original intention was to get a brew ready for a family vacation that we are taking on 7/14. However, after brewing my first batch a few weeks ago, I realized I had time for another, so I have another sitting in my fermenting bucket. Now, I'm starting to think i might be able to squeeze another one, but that brings me to my question.

I'm thinking of brewing a breakfast stout extract kit. I can't start it until next week (fermenter is occupied til then), so that gives 5 weeks until it would have to be ready for drinking. I realize it could probably benefit from a longer time, but that's all I got. So my question is, how should I break that up? I don't have a secondary yet, so I'm guessing it's just 2 weeks in primary and then bottle and let it sit for the remaining 3 weeks. Or could it benefit from a longer time in the fermenting bucket and squeeze some time off from the bottle conditioning?

Thanks!

I wouldn't cut the bottle conditioning time. Primary for 2 or 3 weeks, bottle it and let it sit for at least 6 weeks before you drink it. Stouts need a little extra time to come together. Crack one open after your vacation.

I recently have done two extract batches after doing AG for a few years. I can't understand how you can't have time to do an extract. They went so fast that I missed almost every hop addition while tasting samples and talking to friends. I don't see making an extract batch as anything different than cooking dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I think extract brewing is great, like using a boxed cake mix, it makes great cake and is easy. The heck if I am measuring out flour and bicarb, coming up with a recipe for CAKE for goodness sake.

Now beer, thats different.Back to you, are you out of town out what? You can't brew an extract batch?
I understand making a huge deal about brewing beer, its new and exciting, but a lot of the work has been done for you. You boil, add some stuff, boil some more. Toss the put in a ice bath and leave it there . Pitch yeast the next morning into a sterile fermenter and dump the wort on top to mix and aerate.

Heck, the YEAST does all the work.

Don't get me wrong, I think extract brewing is great, like using a boxed cake mix, it makes great cake and is easy. The heck if I am measuring out flour and bicarb, coming up with a recipe for CAKE for goodness sake.

eh, boxed cake mix makes use of emulsifiers that are not available to the public. Making a really good cake from scratch requires some talent and attention to detail.

If you're in that big of a hurry though go get a plastic bucket to use as a primary.

I recently have done two extract batches after doing AG for a few years. I can't understand how you can't have time to do an extract. They went so fast that I missed almost every hop addition while tasting samples and talking to friends. I don't see making an extract batch as anything different than cooking dinner.

Now beer, thats different.Back to you, are you out of town out what? You can't brew an extract batch?
I understand making a huge deal about brewing beer, its new and exciting, but a lot of the work has been done for you. You boil, add some stuff, boil some more. Toss the put in a ice bath and leave it there . Pitch yeast the next morning into a sterile fermenter and dump the wort on top to mix and aerate.

Wow man, I think he was just asking about how to schedule the fermentation and bottling of another batch. He clearly knows how to do an extract batch. No need need to insult extract brewers by telling them how simplified their process is compared to yours. Some people dont have a day to devote to brewing beer, as much as they'd probably like to. Extract is the answer for that. Some people don't have the resources (epuipment, money, etc...) to do all grain. Extract is also an answer for that.

Mikethepoolguy said:

Wow, such a long post that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Maybe you should've saved all that typing and read the original post.

Hi all,

I've just started brewing, and I'm working on my pipeline. My original intention was to get a brew ready for a family vacation that we are taking on 7/14. However, after brewing my first batch a few weeks ago, I realized I had time for another, so I have another sitting in my fermenting bucket. Now, I'm starting to think i might be able to squeeze another one, but that brings me to my question.

I'm thinking of brewing a breakfast stout extract kit. I can't start it until next week (fermenter is occupied til then), so that gives 5 weeks until it would have to be ready for drinking. I realize it could probably benefit from a longer time, but that's all I got. So my question is, how should I break that up? I don't have a secondary yet, so I'm guessing it's just 2 weeks in primary and then bottle and let it sit for the remaining 3 weeks. Or could it benefit from a longer time in the fermenting bucket and squeeze some time off from the bottle conditioning?

Thanks!

What kit/recipe are you using? What's the O.G.? My guess is you're not gonna have time, unless it's a lower gravity stout.
You still got your first batch to drink on your vacation, right?

I brewed a smooth oatmeal stout recipe from this site. It was all-grain, but I think you could convert it pretty easily. It was drinkable very early. Tasty and smooth. Here's the thread.

It sounds like you may be hooked on brewing an oatmeal stout, but it may be a better idea to brew something that can be ready in a shorter time frame. A Hefe, Pale, or a Blonde would be ready in a shorter amount of time, and would allow you to get a couple weeks of bottle conditioning in, allowing everything to carbonate/clear/etc.

EdWort and Biermuncher (both members of the site) have some great/simple, very tasty recipes. They are usually posted as all grain, but must of the time include the extract versions as well. Check it put, see what you think, and be sure to let us know what you do!

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. Maybe a better question to ask would be what kind of beer would lend itself to getting in the glass in 5 weeks. My first two batches were dunkleweiss and honeyweiss, so I think I've hit my wheat quota.

So it sounds like a pale ale might be one of the quicker beers. The breakfast stout (actually a milkhouse cream stout) was actually a low OG beer that I thought would be kind of quick...but what do I know. I figured it would be a good bridge beer for some of my sisters and brother-in-laws who aren't all that adventurous when it comes to their beers. But I could do a pale ale. More for me!

Anyway, this site is great. I did my first two batches by myself, but I had my laptop right next to me, and anytime I had a question about how to do the next step, I found the answer by doing a simple search on this site. Whatta resource!

Oh yeah, and finally had to break down and try my dunkleweiss after only a week in the bottle. You're telling me it's gonna get better the longer i let it sit? Wow!

Picture 004.jpg

Dude, did you read the OP's post? He's talking about time for it to condition and be drinkable before he leaves. Extract vs. AG has nothing to do with this.

Yet another "let me mock another brewer without even reading the post properly" post.

5 weeks is okay. 2 weeks in the fermentor and the put in bottles til you need them.

A lower OG stout can be ready in a shorter timeframe. Something like a Cream Ale would also be ready quick and very palatable for a crowd not used to craft beer. A Stout usually takes a slightly more refined craft beer palate to truly appreciate.

I just did a stout extract kit (from Midwest Supplies) that is aimed at the Guiness style.

My schedule was:
Primary 3 weeks.
Keg and carb (about 16psi) for 2 weeks.
I then let it sit another week (because I waited for a friend to come to the tapping/tasting).

Man, was is it tasty!
Maybe I could have had it delicious at 5 weeks, maybe waiting longer will improve.
I do know at the schedule I just listed, it is absolutely terrific.

Back