How to Roast a Whole Pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this thread. I want to come to your parties!!! I wish we had those kegs available.

if I come out to the Rodeo I could strap a corny onto my bike.... Promise I wont touch the contents... really I do..

Norton MA is about 200 miles from me ... I could bring my camper... Sleeps 9 or less depending on girth ... lol

Ok... I've googled and I don't see anywhere where they say how to do it... all I've seen is that it's really good.

How is it done?? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Hmm, I've never done it myself, so I can't vouch for any particular recipe. In digging around, I found a guy who basically took lechon preparation to the next level, with some experimental techniques. He's actually the guy that served lechon and other filipino foods to Bourdain and his crew, so I'm sure he must be good!

Full Menu of The No Reservations Philippines Lechon Lunch, Cebu - Market Manila

Three Little Piggies… - Market Manila

From these links you can probably deduce the stuffings and method for cooking lechon.

Some other resources:
Best Taste Cebu Lechon Recipe
Dissecting a Cebu Lechon… - Market Manila

yeah... it looks like a simple spit method of cooking... not to say they aren't absolutely amazing... Like I've said on this thread and others when the topic comes up, it is all what you prefer personally.

Personally... I don't care for the spit method because I think burying the pig in a pit like I do provides for a much more moist and tender meat. The GREAT thing about a spit is the skin... it is nice and crunchy and really tasty. For the pit method, the skin doesn't crisp up any where near like it does on the spit because again... the pit is keeping everything super moist instead of crispy. With the pit method you can't eat the skin unless you take some and toss it on the grill afterwards and even then, it's no where near the same thing.

The stuffing also makes a big difference and the stuffing they use sounds fantastic. I am really going to step up the stuffing this year. I've tossed a few onions and some garlic in there before but nothing like they do on those links. I've also tossed a few ducks in the chest cavity which was really good... but I think this year I'll go with something a lot closer to what they're showing.

Also... the one thing I don't like about the spit method is the work. Even if you get a motorized spit (and I have a motor because I was going to do it) you have to feed hot coals to the thing all night. I host about 100 people the next day and it is a marathon of good beer-drinking, the LAST thing I want to do is stay up for 24 hours straight the day/night before.

from a culinary perspective,
what is the point of wrapping it in the soaked leaves?

It just adds a small amount of protection from scorching from the flame and it cuts down a bit on grease dripping and flaring up (think cheap burgers on closed grill for a few minutes too long). Plus it helps keep the "steam" in the meat... which isn't really steam from water but juices from the fat.

That looks great but a fire that close to what looks like woods would make me uncomfortable the whole time, but that is just me.

I don't do pork but, if I did. Finding the pig is the easy part.

It's finding the polynesian with a palm tree that make this difficult. ;)

That looks great but a fire that close to what looks like woods would make me uncomfortable the whole time, but that is just me.

It's not as close as it looks and the fires aren't bonfires... I've had about 1,000 fires for the last five years and it has never been close to a problem.

the one thing I don't like about the spit method is the work. Even if you get a motorized spit (and I have a motor because I was going to do it) you have to feed hot coals to the thing all night.

Cape Brewing: I'd like to know where you got your spit motor & what brand it is, I'd like to spit roast a lamb/goat on the cheap & the motor is the only thing I can't DIY. Regards, GF.

I see the pig you cooked has had the hair removed....do you buy it that way?

My parents are farmers and even though they don't raise pigs any more, they have neighbors that do. We could get a pig from a neighbor and gut it ourselves, but not sure how to go about removing the hair. Would it be bad to leave the hair on and just let it burn off?

Cape Brewing: I'd like to know where you got your spit motor & what brand it is, I'd like to spit roast a lamb/goat on the cheap & the motor is the only thing I can't DIY. Regards, GF.

I'll have to dig it out of the garage and check it out. I know I got it off of Ebay. IT was specifically listed for "large pig roast spits" It was listed as being able to spin a 225lb pig (obviously once properly balanced) and then it was geared down to only spin something like 2 or 3 times per minute. If memory serves me correctly... I THINK I paid something like $65-$75 for it.

I got it a few years ago and to be perfectly honest, I've never used it. Once I got the pit done, I never looked back. I have kicked around the idea of rigging up a motorized mash rake with it but... not sure that's going to happen REAL soon.

My parents are farmers and even though they don't raise pigs any more, they have neighbors that do. We could get a pig from a neighbor and gut it ourselves, but not sure how to go about removing the hair. Would it be bad to leave the hair on and just let it burn off?

Wow... I have NO freakin' clue. I didn't even think these pigs HAD hair. They come smooth as a babies bottom. Since I didn't known they even had hair I'm probably the wrong person to ask about getting it off... but... I definitely wouldn't just leave it on and let it burn off while it was cooking. I don't think "burnt hair" is a flavor you want to bring out in the pig.

Well, all pigs have some hair. Not a lot, but it's there. I'm guessing the guy you get it from boils the hair off. Not real practical if you're going to butcher it yourself. Maybe it could be singed off ahead of time over an open fire?

I'll have to dig it out of the garage and check it out. I know I got it off of Ebay. IT was specifically listed for "large pig roast spits" It was listed as being able to spin a 225lb pig (obviously once properly balanced) and then it was geared down to only spin something like 2 or 3 times per minute. If memory serves me correctly... I THINK I paid something like $65-$75 for it.

I'm a complete spit motor n00b, so please bear with me. Is your motor a chain/sprocket setup to drive the spit, or is it an external set of gears & a shaft? Regards, GF.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the date of the pig pickin' this year? We're coming home late July-early August and I would LOVE to attend.

Amazing idea!! Never thought of digging a hole in the ground. We do it in Florida where we build a brick enclosure, put hot coals in the corners, wrap ole boy in foil and squeeze him between chain link fences, butterflied open, and placed over enclosure. He is marinated and wrapped in mojo, garlic, herbs etc

Here's one I did in April on a smoker. Started at 7 AM, done around 4 pm. I tended it and mopped it all day, and was kaput at 5 pm lol. All oak

@ ~11 am
l_cae44c3e9f8c4172b221c78d0fdaf520.jpg

l_da2caa980a904218ab5406522b6658a6.jpg

done. 1 hour in cooler
l_4f5f3d413201414893187f1866dde8bd.jpg

he fell apart. amazing pig
l_7f225295f72345d1938d7a1636a7a8fd.jpg

I just read this entire thread and it made me stay up till 1am last night slowly smoking some chili and corned beef. Not the same as a pig, but a step in the right direction.

Here is my humble grill, gas on the left and charcoal on the right. I used old wine barrels for the smoking and cooked around 250* for four hours for the chili and for 6 hours for the corned beef.

photo-797392.jpg

Chili on the left and top, corned beef on the right.
photo-747900.jpg

Amazing idea!! Never thought of digging a hole in the ground. We do it in Florida where we build a brick enclosure, put hot coals in the corners, wrap ole boy in foil and squeeze him between chain link fences, butterflied open, and placed over enclosure. He is marinated and wrapped in mojo, garlic, herbs etc

Here's one I did in April on a smoker. Started at 7 AM, done around 4 pm. I tended it and mopped it all day, and was kaput at 5 pm lol. All oak

Yeah, I've done it that way as well. My HBC does one every year like that. it's GREAT eatin'. I'm just way too lazy to stay up all of that time. Like you said, you were kaput by 5 with starting at 7AM... try starting at 7AM the PREVIOUS morning. Heck with that.

I'm pysched because my neighbor and number one customer at my bar just told me that he's got about a thousand brand new bricks in his back yard that he doens't want there (left over from driveway and walkway paving)... and that if I want them to just taken 'em... So... I think "the pit" is going to get a nice makeover this year.

I'm going to pull all of the bricks out, mark off the dimensions exactly and then double stack em into actual staight walls for the pit as opposed to how I have them now.. which is just tossed in (I was in a hurry).

That'll be taking place over the next few weeks so I'll probably update a pic or two.

sweeeeeeeet... I just bought a big roll of ceramic fiber blanket insulation (rated up to 2,300 degrees) off of Ebay. It's time for me to built a new cover for the pit since the one I've been using is now 5+ years old and has been sitting outside next to the pit that entire time. I'm going to rebuild the cover the same way I did before with a sheet of plywood, some 2x4s and some sheet metal but this time I'll pack in between the plywood and sheet metal with the blanket to completely insulate the thing. That way I won't have to then bury the cover like i usually do for added insulation. That baby will be like an oven door now.

DO NOT leave the hair on. the only way I've ever helped to remove the hair was to boil water, pour it over the pig and scrap the hair off with a tool made from an old knife or wood scraper. Hold the handle and the end of the blade cross-grained to the hair and scrape. As you can guess, it's called scaldin' & scrapin' and it's suckin' I'm sure a butcher has a better set up that you could pay to do it. Luck - Dwain
P.S. haven't had a roast pig since I was a kid. Fine job by all entrants!

sweeeeeeeet... I just bought a big roll of ceramic fiber blanket insulation (rated up to 2,300 degrees) off of Ebay. It's time for me to built a new cover for the pit since the one I've been using is now 5+ years old and has been sitting outside next to the pit that entire time. I'm going to rebuild the cover the same way I did before with a sheet of plywood, some 2x4s and some sheet metal but this time I'll pack in between the plywood and sheet metal with the blanket to completely insulate the thing. That way I won't have to then bury the cover like i usually do for added insulation. That baby will be like an oven door now.

Dude, why didnt you tell me?

You do know I am in the safety fabric business right?

I would have traded it for 1/4 lb of Magnums

Great thread! Not trying to hijack, but thought I would share a couple of ideas.

A few years ago we Maltose Falcons) roasted a whole pig at our Sunfest (August campout/beerfest). I made a simple spit rotisserie that can be clamped in place in a typical campground fire pit. Heres a pic of the pig all wrapped up and turning 1 PRPM (pig revolution per minute) at the start of it's ~9 hour cook time:
2005_Sunfest_16_Pig_TrussedSpitted.jpg

Part of the reason it took so long was that the pig was stuffed with about 40 pounds of pork shoulders and veggies, as we were feeding about 70 people.

Here http://http://www.maltosefalcons.com/food/bigpig.php is a link to the Chef's notes, along with a bit on construction of the rotisserie.
And here http://http://www.maltosefalcons.com/photos/index.php?v=list&i=0&p=2005%2008%2020%20Sunfest are more photos of the cooking and partying.

Fletch

How much are you guys paying per pound for the piggy? we were going to do a pig roast but the farmer wanted $3.50 a pound and we decided to just buy baby backs instead from costco for the same price.

$3.50 per pound is absolutely insane. I have been paying somewhere between $1.00 $1.50 for years and then last year it jumped to something like $2.10... but $3.50? That's nuts.

Luckily this year I found a farmer that has some pigs. 100% all grain fed... and I'm getting a 200 pounder for this year's cookout for $250.

I'm not pissed.

No...

My sister's fiance owns something like 75 acres down in Coventry RI and he lets a guy use a few acres on the back of his property for a very small farm. The guy has about 15 pigs, some chickens and then he does veggies. Given how it all ties together, the guy is giving me a deal on a pig. And my sister's fiance used to be really big into 4H so when he tells me this will be a really good roasting pig... I believe him.

Oh, I forgot...that $3.50 a pound was just for the dead pig. We still had to gut it too! I'll tell you what, those baby backs from costco and the kroger skin-on picnic roast we smoked were pretty damn good! We'll find a better source for pigs and do it right someday soon.

Oh hell with that... that's insanity.

the price I was talking about was for a dressed pig... totally cleaned and ready to cook. All I do is take the head off... just because it's a pain to leave on the way I cook 'em.

Oh, I forgot...that $3.50 a pound was just for the dead pig. We still had to gut it too! I'll tell you what, those baby backs from costco and the kroger skin-on picnic roast we smoked were pretty damn good! We'll find a better source for pigs and do it right someday soon

That's robbery. Mine usually runs about $1.25/lb, all dressed and ready to go. It is even delivered to my house!

In preparation for this year's pig roast, I've been working on "Pig Pit 2.0"

I took all of the bricks outta the pit, squared it all off, and then re-bricked them in at least some reasonable way so that they weren't just tossed in there. I actually used mortar this time as well. The mortar will probably all crack and fall apart with the heat this thing will put out but I THINK walls with hold straight for a while.

The pipes you see are three inch stovepipe that is piped in as air vents (intake). They go down, elbow at 90 degrees and run a couple of feet the length of the pit. I punched a ton of 1/2 inch holes in them and then coverd them with a "hood" (a half section of the same stovepipe) so they wouldn't fill with water and dirt once buried.

I then bricked the whole thing up. Then, once I hit ground level, I did the three rows of cinder block. The cinder block is filled with dirt for insulation and now I am going to skin the outside of that with more red broick so it looks presentable.

I have had a few test fires in it and the things absolutely looks like the gate of hell when burning. I'm pysched. If past experience is any indication, this thing will cook the **** outta the 200 lb pig I've got coming in a few weeks.:ban:

12070d1247685487-how-roast-whole-pig-dsc00073.jpg

12071d1247685505-how-roast-whole-pig-dsc00076.jpg

12072d1247685533-how-roast-whole-pig-dsc00083.jpg

12073d1247685553-how-roast-whole-pig-dsc00084.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

you bring home pig roasting to a whole new level. i can only dream of reaching such levels. wow! awsome dude!

The other thing I'm thinking... (I just had an epifilly!) is that I'm going to make up all sorts of homemade sausage, mostly andouille and maybe some tasso and then I'll smoke those with a few briskets... maybe stuff the pig with some andouille? And then go with a creole dry rub for the pig.

I can't freakin' wait.

Back