How to butcher and process a whole pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Butcher!

Hah, sorry I couldn't help myself. You are a machine. I am jealous of your pork supply. Not to mention the place we buy a hog every year to roast up always steals the cheeks. The jerks.

Onion and oat mix with a container of blood, mixed Morcilla ready to stuff, and finished black puddings. I think the Morcilla could have used a bit less rice, maybe 850g or 900g. I like my blood sausage just a little softer...

004.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

Here's some Mexican chorizo with peppers and onions hanging out with some fried quail eggs and homemade tortillas, salsa, and guacamole.

012.jpg

And that leaves us all caught up with the project so far. I'm off today and tomorrow, so I'll be working on a few more things. Coming up: Frankfurters, liver pate, and Gio (Vietnamese chicken garlic "sausage") I'll also be baking some baguettes and pickling some carrots and daikon radish so I can really live the dream and have a bahn mi for lunch every freaking day next week! :ban:

I finished up all of the prep for Bahn Mi mania and smoked my bacon and ham hocks yesterday morning. Even though this had nothing to do with the pig, I figured I'd post. The Gio is a made from chicken, fish sauce, tapioca starch, and garlic blitzed into a paste in the food processor. After it's processed it gets wrapped in banana leaves, and foil or plastic wrap to make it watertight. I then poached it until it hit 165 degrees, and chilled. This same process is also how I make bologna and mortadella, I just sub the leaves for parchment paper. I figure there's no use buying a casing that just goes in the trash if I can rig one out of things I already have on hand. I also made of chicken liver pate with onions, garlic, vermouth, butter, and cream. Finally we have a picture of my freshly smoked swine bits and some just out of the oven baguettes. Sorry about pic quality, my kitchen gets blasted with sun in the morning.

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Here's today's lunch! There's some pickled daikon and carrots, cilantro, and jalapenos on there, along with the Gio, headcheese, and liver pate.

014.jpg

Man, I feel like a (jealous) City Slicker Slacker right now.
I've broken down whole venison for charcuterie and sausage but never gotten a full pig. Yet... that might have to change soon. I'm especially jealous of being able to make fresh blood sausage.

Banh mi is my latest craving and that one looks AWESOME!

I never even HAD a banh mi until this week. Now I've had three! LOL!

Can you tell me how you're using parchment paper for your bologna? I've been making it in a loaf pan but would like a ROUND one without buying casings!

Holy food coma! Today' we had an old school Irish "Full Breakfast". Bacon, black pudding, baked beans, sauteed tomatoes and spinach, over easy eggs, and toast (from an old whole wheat and rye loaf I found in the back of the fridge). All fried in the same skillet, in the glorious rendered fat from aforementioned bacon.

005 - Copy.jpg

To prepare any kind of sausage paste, braised or cured meat, or seafood into a log using parchment paper, cheesecloth, or plastic wrap is called "Au torchon" in fancy Frenchie culinary talk. It's a popular way to prepare foie gras and headcheese, and there are tons of videos on you tube about it. The gist of the process is to take a roll of plastic wrap and lay out a base layer on your workspace. Any sort of liner (cheesecloth, parchment paper, or banana leaves like I did) should be placed on top of the plastic. I like having the liner if I'm actually cooking something in the plastic, but if I'm just making a torchon of already cooked head meat I don't worry about it. Place your meat paste in a line the center of the liner material and gently roll into a log of your desired thickness. The motion here is kind of like rolling sushi, with the parchment and plastic wrap replacing the bamboo mat. Now take your log by each end, and twist the parchment and plastic wrap in opposite directions on each end to tighten. I just kind of alternate hands as I tighten the end in my right hand away from me and the end in my left hand towards me. Tie off each end with butchers twine, leaving some excess string. Take the excess string and wrap down from the knot, into the loaf, to tighten further and tie again on each side. You can steam, poach, or boil the torchon from here, or if you're just shaping already cooked meat this is where you put it in the fridge to set. I hope that was a clear explanation, but a video is worth a thousand words...

Wow. You have some skills man. Great thread. I though I was ahead of the curve butchering my own deer and pigs but you take it to a new level.

I got the pancetta, guanciale, and coppa hung this morning. I took the half belly that I didn't smoke and the jowls and rinsed off the excess cure. I then rubbed them liberally with black pepper, crushed red pepper, and herbs. I cut a hole in the top of each jowl and ran some butchers string through it to hang. The belly got rolled up and tied like a roast. The coppa got rinsed, rubbed with red pepper and paprika, and tied.

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

Here's a pic of everybody getting cozy in their new home. When you dry meat in a refrigerator, there's a lot of air movement from the fan - which is good, but it kills the ambient humidity - which is very bad. I've fooled around with humidifiers with sensors and shut off switches, and they work really well, but they're kind of overkill. I just have a pan filled with salted water (salt to discourage mold and microbe growth) and a couple of towels to act as wicks, sitting in the bottom of the fridge. Whenever the pan goes dry, I'll add more water - easy peasy! If anyone's worried that that isn't complicated or reliable enough, rest assured, I've dried hundreds of pounds of salami and whole muscle applications (including a proscuitto I aged for 18 months) this way, and never had an issue with case hardening or rot. Besides, it's good to remind ourselves (while we're playing with Ph sensors and thermostat controllers) that these techniques were invented by people who didn't have refrigeration, sanitizer, or any clue what lactobacillus and pediococcus are. Anyway, I also have some beer in there, so the corny kind of gives you an idea of the size of these guys. Hopefully I'll have time to get some salamis going this week, fermenting meat is a whole new ball game on this thread, although I'm stoked to see a couple of people on the forum are doing it. :rockin:

066.jpg

Oh, and thanks for all the compliments, exitement, and encouraging words! If anyone has any questions about this stuff, please feel free to ask. :mug:

You ages a prosciutto 18 months!? I've always wanted to try dry aging meat like that but TBH it kinda scared me. I make jerky and bologna and the such but stuff like that has been over my head for now. Maybe I need to give it a shot. I have a spare mini fridge in the garage that isn't getting any use right now.

We just bought a half a hog (Well, it's a whole hog, but we are splitting it up between our house and my sister's house). I wish I'd seen this before. I'd consider butchering it up myself and saving some $$.

Of course I'd be the only one doing it since my wife is not likely to be anywhere near a dead pig or have any part in cutting one into small tasty pieces.

I don't know what half the things are you showed yourself making either!

I was a bit disappointed that the 1/2 hog I got from a former coworker was already butchered, that was half of the intended fun of going to the source. The only daunting part is wondering how much you'll end up turning into trim that a more experienced butcher could keep as prime cuts. But if you treat it like brewing where the process is a big portion of the fun then it's worth the risk.

I am glad I found this thread, the state is going to try and trap some wild hogs at the farm where I work in a couple of weeks. What happens to any caught is up to me! I was already planing on putting some in the freezer and this info will really help.

Back