How to rest short ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I moved to Texas two years ago (Memorial Day weekend). It's time a smoke some beef. I plan on buying some short ribs and wondering how I should let them rest and for how long. I've seen unwrapped for an hour to wrapped for 10-15 minutes. Since I'm new to this and used to resting pork butt for an hour, I'm curious.

This is how I rest MY short ribs.
Oh.. wait... wrong topic. Sorry. Carry on...
lounge.jpg

No joking aside give us more info.

I'm smoking right now...

I have ribs on the smoker for about 7 hours, right now, at 200 with lots of Smoke and steam. I will take them off wrap them in foil for twenty minutes and then start eating. Any that I don't eat cool to room temp and get popped into the fridge.

I'm doing a butt that's at 156F. Needs to hit 195. It's been on 7 hours. So I might just remove everything to crank up the temp. Chicken, ribs should come off. I'm leaving the salted almonds on though.

My pork butt will be rested to about 125F. Then I'm gonna pull it.

My pork butt will be rested to about 125F. Then I'm gonna pull it.

This is ripe with opportunity, but I hold off and apologize for the previous derailment. I hope you get the answers that you're looking for and wish I could help. I admire people that have meat smoking / BBQ skills, but I'm the guy that's usually just standing there next to the expert, holding a plate…….

I will sometimes season pork ribs with either low sodium soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and cook 'em on the gas grill. Rest 30 minutes.
They are good eatin' just like that without BBQ.

After laying on the BBQ sauce I remove the ribs, cover them over with foil and rest about 30mins. Reheat if necessary in the oven because BBQ ribs will make one heck of a mess on a gas grill that's a pain to clean.

Oh wait ... I was babbling about pork. This is about beef. LOL
When it comes to resting is the same difference.

I rest my steaks for 5 minutes. I'll kill some house guest that wants to cut into it see if it's done before the rest is over. I know for a fact at 350F with 6 minutes on the grill is guaranteed to be medium rare.

Focker... [emoji12]

I wouldn't rest overly long, especially if they're individual ribs rather than a slab. They'll come off hot enough that if you need to rest longer than 30 minutes, it's not like they're going to get cold, but I see no reason to go longer than 15 minutes or so. For individual, I'd rest it uncovered, like I would a steak.

If you're doing a slab of 3 ribs, you can probably rest longer, as you'll have a lot more thermal mass. But I don't see any reason to rest longer than an hour. For that, I'd rest it wrapped in foil.

Latest posts

Back