How to remove mill scale from my stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
Hi! I am finished with the welding of my stand. However the weld points are now rapidly rusting (hot rolled steel tube). I need to somehow remove the mill scale so that I can paint my stand with rustoleum.

Anyone know how?

Sadly I can't remove the scale that sits on the inside of my stand's steel tubing and corrosion is rapidly setting in. I ended up buying some rust remover chemical that, theoretically, should remove not just rust but most iron oxides, so it might handle the mill scale as well.

Failing that I'm pickling it in vinegar.

Sadly I can't remove the scale that sits on the inside of my stand's steel tubing and corrosion is rapidly setting in. I ended up buying some rust remover chemical that, theoretically, should remove not just rust but most iron oxides, so it might handle the mill scale as well.

Failing that I'm pickling it in vinegar.

Another option would be to use something like the POR15 system to clean and coat it, that would seal it up pretty well from corrosion.

Another option would be to use something like the POR15 system to clean and coat it, that would seal it up pretty well from corrosion.

See I looked at POR15 Metal Prep and ended up getting Metal Rescue instead - Metal Prep leaves a layer of Zinc Phosphate, and Zinc isn't a good thing to subject to gas burner temperatures.

I know it's too late for your build but the mill scale should be dealt with before welding in hard to access areas. Failing that, just wire brush the lose stuff off and apply a rusty metal paint or treat with Tannic acid, rinse and paint with a primer/paint combo.

Good luck.

Good call...I didn't consider that, but my stand doesn't come in contact with gas-flame temperatures, the way it holds the kegs. If yours would, then smart.

See I looked at POR15 Metal Prep and ended up getting Metal Rescue instead - Metal Prep leaves a layer of Zinc Phosphate, and Zinc isn't a good thing to subject to gas burner temperatures.

meant to quote this post ^, not my own...

Back