How to quick "age" hops in oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
My plan is to make an extract lambic, doing a 60min boil with aged hops. I have a wild starter that I'm going to use, along with dregs and maybe a lambic blend to be safe.
I have some old home grown hops in my freezer I'd like to quick "age" in the oven. I know that aged hops aren't necessary, but I'd like to try them out. Is there a certain amount of time, or certain temperature to "age" them at? From what I can gather, I want to spread them on a cookie sheet and cook at 170-200F. Here's what I'm not so sure of. Do I cook until they get cheesy smelling, or until they are past the cheesy state? Also, how much should I use in the boil? They are cascades that have been in the freezer in a zip lock bag for ~2yrs, so I imagine the AAU% is pretty low already.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

I don't think hops aged in the oven are the same as truly aged hops. The ones I keep in the attic definitely smell different than ones heated up. The heat of the oven drives off some of the "cheesy" flavor that I pick up in commercial gueuze and leaves them kind of plain and with almost no aroma.
No idea on the alpha' s either

Thanks for the replies. There's a lot of conflicting info about the hops. I've read somewhere that young lambic is actually somewhat bitter. Some say the hops should be cheesy, others say beyond cheesy, where they smell like nothing. Also have read that if they are cheesy, it will boil off, but may need the aid of a long boil. Of the 7 or so gueuzes that I've had, can't say I've noticed much cheesiness, but never really looked for it either.
I think I'm going to just try the hops as is. They don't really have any smell to them, for better or worse. I only have ~1.5oz, so I may throw in 1oz of Saaz pellets (2.2AAU) too, to be safe.
Any additional info/suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

Back