How To PRessure Test An Old Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2HomeBrew

Reaction score
Cheers All,

I am getting ready to keg my first batch this weekend, and I was wondering how you go about pressure testing an old 5 gallon Keg. This appears to me to be a ball lock if that makes any differnece. I have the CO2 tank with regulators. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!:mug:

Lube it up and close it. Put your gas to it and let it run for a minute or so. Get some CO2 into it.

Check it on the release valve to make sure it's got pressure, then put it to sleep for a day or two and check again. If it still has pressure after that long, you're probably OK. Want even more assurance? Pick up one of these(scroll down to bleeder valve) to check it periodically. If it holds, you're ok.

Worst case scenario, you probably just need to buy new o-rings. Any LHBS should stock them, if not, buy in bulk from Mcmaster.

kvh

Another thing is you could make up a batch of Star San or just plain soapy water and brush it over the lid, pressure relief valve and posts looking for bubbles that expand and burst.

Be sure to rinse it real good if you go the soapy water route.

I like to brush mine with Star San as it sanitizes the outside connectors in addition to checking for leaks.

Depending on its condition, consider making a remote rig that will allow you to hook up an air compressor hose that runs to a separate room (or outside). Slowly bring the pressure up to 60 psi (a factor of safety of 3 over normal force carb pressures, and roughly half of the factory pressure rating). Any loud noises mean that the pressure test has failed catastrophically. Once you're satisfied, relieve the pressure, and do a leak check as described above.

I keep a tube of this stuff around for leak testing.

gas-leak-detector.jpg

Pressure up to 160 psi - if it does not blow up before then, it's O.K.

Kidding. You're asking about a PT - you can do above, but I'd put in a cage (like they do with truck tires) just in case it blows before the SRV pops off.

Why do you want to PT it - I never go above 60 on mine, and that's extremely rare. Usually 30 psi for 2 days, then to maintenance to finish out carbonation.

I"ve also read you can hook it up, set the regulator at 10psi, pressurize the tank, then shut off the valve on the CO2 cylinder. come back the next day...if the regulator is still holding 10psi, your keg isn't leaking and neither is your regulator connection to the CO2 or to the keg.

Thanks for the advise. I just inherited the Kegs and most of my brewing equipment from a friend who has not used any of it in about 3 or 4 years. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to ruin my labors by having a defective o-ring or the like. I am going to keg on Sunday. I'll post a reply and let you all know how it went.

Thanks Again!:mug:

Back