How to pasturize 5 gallons fresh/unpasturized cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now and am trying my luck at cider.

I have 5 gallons of fresh/unpasturized cider from a local orchard, and have read some conflicting/unclear information about pasturizing before pitching commercial yeast I'm hoping someone can set me straight on.

1) I've heard you should pitch Potassium Metabisulfite or campden tablets to inhibit the wild yeast. I currently have PM at my place, so I was planning on using this. How much should I throw in?

2) Once pitching some PM/campden, how i've read you need to let it sit for 24 hrs to "offgas" before pitching your commercial yeast. I'm assuming I Should have the fermenter covered with an airlock during this time?

3) would bringing all 5 gallons to a boil and chilling be overkill?

Thanks!!

Dually noted. If I've read correctly, I'll be using a 1/4 tsp per carboy and letting that sit for 36 hrs before pitching.. The only question is, if it's "off gas"ing, should I throw an airlock on it or no?

Well it's your choice. Might as well, it will allow the offgas somewhat and to escape and still keep out nasties. You are going to have to open at some point to pitch. You can just do what you can do to limit wilds. I prefer UV'd cider to take out the unknowns. YMMV

You shouldn't need to Boil the cider to pasteurize it - from what I could tell (and this is what I did this weekend to pasteurize 5.x gallons of fresh-pressed cider) you only need to heat it to 160° for ten or fifteen minutes to kill the bacteria. This isn't hot enough to get the cider to boil.

The potassium metabisulfate should also take care of wild yeast/bacteria no? Would heating to 160-170 not cause the pektin to set?

The potassium metabisulfate should also take care of wild yeast/bacteria no? Would heating to 160-170 not cause the pektin to set?

Yes it should. Personally I wouldn't heat the cider at all, just use the p met and you should be GTG after 24 hrs. If you choose to heat it I wouldn't exceed 160 and do that for 15 min. Then you have to let it cool and people get antsy and pitch to early. Just saying..

Alright that sounds like the direction I'll go in. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back