How to modify coopers extract in a can kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeefan1

Reaction score
Hi, im new to homebrewing and i recently made a coopers real ale extract kit. I boiled my extract and sugars together, cooled the wort down and dumped in fermenter bucket and filled with water.

It seemed pretty simple so im wondering is there any ways I can add to it or change it up some, I heard of people using lme or dme instead of dextrose. So if anybody has some pointers it would be greatly appreciated if you would share.

Using DME in place of dextrose will lead to a huge improvement in taste. You could also see if your homebrew shop has hops for sale in small quantities for dry-hopping, where you add hops after the fermentation has stopped for added aroma.

I did a few of them before moving to AG and I used 3lbs of DME in each, turned out great I really enjoyed the English Bitter. I took a few to one of our Hombrew meetings and the guys were surprised how good it turned out.

I did one recently using the coopers kit and used wheat malt instead of DME.

Then Galaxy hops @ 8 mins
and Nelson Sauvin hops @ 20 mins

It's come out lovely but my wife likes it a lot too, so thats not so good..

Would I be able to add two cans of coopers for one 5 gallon batch and if I did that would I still have to mix in sugar when boiling these kits? And if so could I boill each can in separate pots since I dont really have a big one?

NoCornOrRice said:
Using DME in place of dextrose will lead to a huge improvement in taste. You could also see if your homebrew shop has hops for sale in small quantities for dry-hopping, where you add hops after the fermentation has stopped for added aroma.

Absolutely! I am about to do that with a Muntons kit. A kit with only 3-4 lb of malt will be pretty light in every sense. Definitely double up and no you do not need dextrose.
Dextrose ads to the alcohol content but does not add flavor.

Definitively use DME instead of corn sugar (dextrose).

The other major impact you can have on a can and kilo kit would be to hop it up.

When they boild down the worth to the consistency of molasse, all the aroma and taste molecules of the hops goes away with the vapor. You're basically left with just the bittering portion of hops.

For the real ale, i'd add about 1oz of east kent golding for 15 minutes and it should freshen it up quite a bit!

If you don't do a boil, you could also add the hops ikn your beer for 5-7 days from your bottling day.

Which Cooper's all extract kit/kits require(s) a boil ?

The last 3 kits from Cooper's that I used only needed a few liters of HOT water to get the extracts mixed, then just dump the whole thing into the fermenter and add cold water to the 23 liter mark.

As far as the 2 can method there are lots of recipes using two cans of extract as well as other ingredients in with the basic kit, eg. malto-dextrin, dextrose, hops...Look up "Cooper's toucan".

Once fermentation is complete you will still have to add in sugar for carbonation..

bosco

I would not boil the can itself, I would use DME and boil that with any hops you choose to add then add both to the fermenter.

How much difference will the DME effect the ABV compared to the dextrose? and also what is the price difference?

Would I be able to add two cans of coopers for one 5 gallon batch and if I did that would I still have to mix in sugar when boiling these kits? And if so could I boill each can in separate pots since I dont really have a big one?

Understand that two cans of the hopped extract would end up with twice the bitterness. Your second can of extract would need to be unhopped.

I made the Coopers IPA a while back and swapped out most of the dextrose for DME, still a small amount in there. I steeped a small amount of C40 and did ten and zero minute hopping additions and then dry hopped it for a week. I also swapped out the kit yeast for US-05. I brewed it on the stove top like a normal Coopers kit. It turned out pretty good. I'm going to change up the hopping next time. It wasn't the best or cheapest brew, but it gave me a very drinkable IPA and was a quick brew day, great for those busy weekends when I don't have time for even a full extract boil, let alone an all-grain batch.

How much difference will the DME effect the ABV compared to the dextrose? and also what is the price difference?

The DME is slightly less fermentable than the sugar and probably slightly more expensive, but what it adds in flavor is well worth it. I still use a small amount of sugar with my canned kits, but it's maybe half a pound to a pound and a half of DME. I also tend to add about a quarter pound of maltodextrin.

dextrose, AKA sugar, is 100% fermentable. it leaves behind nothing but alcohol - no flavors, just boozey heat.

DME leaves behind maltiness, AKA beer. so big difference :)

As was illuded to earlier,you should never boil pre-hopped extract malt. Whether liquid or dry. The flavor/aroma hop profile will be boiled down to nothing but bittering.
Use plain (un-hopped) DME to do a boil for hop additions. I use half a 3lb bag for the hop additions in 2.5-3 gallons of boiling water. Hop additions vary by time,amount,& style. So you could look at my recipes for examples.
I then add the pre-hopped cooper's can(s) at flameout with remaining DME. Stir till completely dissolved. Allow to steep 10 minutes,as it's still plenty hot enough at some 180F+ to pasteurize,which happens at about 162F. Then into an ice bath in the sink down to pitch temp. Do this in 20 minutes or less,& you'll get little or no chill haze at fridge time.

Latest posts

Back