How to Manage large Hop additions in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I'm going to be using my fresh hops this weekend for a 5 gal batch of an Amber Ale.
The recipe calls for 1 to 1 1/2 oz additions which translates to roughly 5 oz. wet hops. I have seen the hops thrown in loose but I like using hop bags. The first time I didn't use muslin bags I had a hard time draining the kettle.
5 oz bags are going to be big and probably wont allow room for my double coil immersion coil when cooing. I suppose I can remove the hops for cooling but would like to leave my last hop (aroma) additions in.
What would be the best way to manage fresh hops in the boil.
Thanks.

I use the 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bags from HD. My wife sewed a drawstring in the top. I regularly use 6-8 oz in it for my IPA, like bellybuster said, just center the bag in the middle of the chiller coil.

put the bag inside the immerseion chiller

I have always thought that having the chiller in the boil that long could impart off flavors. I usually put the chiller in for about the last 10 minutes or so. With my chiller I wont have the room for the fresh hops.
I guess I could use dried for my first additions and fresh for the aroma additions.

Chiller.JPG

hmmm, badass chiller for sure. Guess there ain't no bag of hops going in there.

what do you have on the end of your dip tube??

Sorry, the tube that goes to the bottom of your kettle for draining. Maybe install a hop stopper of sorts?

I have always thought that having the chiller in the boil that long could impart off flavors.

Your cooler should be rinsed after each use and again to remove dust before putting it in the pot. That should do for cleaning.

And since there is no dirt, the only factor is your copper, which is a trace element the yeast need. The yeast consume it, as long as it isn't above toxic levels, which it wouldn't be.

Unless you boil the copper for days. Then you're in uncharted territories!

I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags too. But, I clip them to the side of the kettle which is great for adding hops at various stages of the boil. If you did that, the bag would hug the side of your kettle and there should be room for your chiller at the same time.

Sorry, the tube that goes to the bottom of your kettle for draining. Maybe install a hop stopper of sorts?

I'm just using a bushing with seal to secure the 1/2" SS ball valve to the side of the pot near the bottom.
I could probably install a false bottom above that to strain the hops when draining.
Your gettin me thinking now... thanks

Your cooler should be rinsed after each use and again to remove dust before putting it in the pot. That should do for cleaning.

And since there is no dirt, the only factor is your copper, which is a trace element the yeast need. The yeast consume it, as long as it isn't above toxic levels, which it wouldn't be.

Unless you boil the copper for days. Then you're in uncharted territories!

Thanks for the reassurance. And yes, all my equipment gets a good cleaning after brewing then, when dry stored away to stay clean.
Thanks

I just clean my wort chiller and sanitize it in my fermenting bucket. Then drop it in the kettle when I'm ready to chill

Back