how to keg for my first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltriga

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to home brewing beer I've done 5 brews so far and decide to go from bottling to kegging. My process now is basically primary fermentation for 7-10 days then I add finings and leave for another 2 days before bottle conditioning from there. I plan to leave my bottles for 6 weeks plus before testing the first one. My question is... after the primary has finished lets say two weeks and I want to put my beer in a keg to age what is the process? Do I need to gas the keg straight away and then age under pressure? I have no idea of how to do this. Thanks

did you get a corny keg? if so, just fill it up, hold the lid a little loose with the gasket on the mouth and add a little gas. If done right the lid will seal and hold it self up with pressure. then close the lid. i would add gas to serving pressure, and vent out the air a couple times to get all the oxygen out. set it at about 10 psi for a couple weeks, then serve.

if you search on the forum search bar, there are much more detailed descriptions.

Thanks. I will try that. I haven't received my kegs yet, they are in transit but yes they are corny kegs. So how long can I leave it sit like that with 10psi ? Can I carbonate slowly over time doing it that way and is it possible that it will over carbonate the beer if left like that for too long?

i leave it at ten from kegging until the last drop. sometimes 7 or 8, depending on the style.

If you are using pinlock kegs, they often need to have their gaskets set at 30 psi. Then you can bleed a little off to purge the O2, then set to serving pressure for 3 weeks. It'll skew up and age properly.

Back