how to keep wort for backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I have saved 1 qt of wort from a raspberry-honey wine. I have it in the fridge now, but how long can I keep it there? I expect that the wine will be ready to back sweeten in 2-3 months.

Will it keep in the fridge that long?
Should I freeze it?

It's "must" if it doesn't have yeast in it (not wort- that's beer). Anyway, you would need to freeze it to keep it for backsweetening. I would also add some campden to it, if you haven't already, just to ensure that there are a minimum of microbes in it.

Great, thanks for the info Yooper.

Another related question. If I freeze must like this, could I later thaw it and use it for brewing? Kind of like using frozen fruit?

How well does that even work for sweetening? I would imagine that you would have to use a substantial amount of left over must to make using it as a sweetener worth while... And at that point you're diluting your ABV. If you over do your ABV expecting to dilute / sweeten later I would think you could just make it the way you wanted and add strait sugar later.

How well does that even work for sweetening? I would imagine that you would have to use a substantial amount of left over must to make using it as a sweetener worth while... And at that point you're diluting your ABV. If you over do your ABV expecting to dilute / sweeten later I would think you could just make it the way you wanted and add strait sugar later.

^ that!

I would use honey to backsweeten a Honey Raspberry Wine. If you can obtain a Raspberry concentrate from real fruit, where most of the water component was removed without killing the flavor, you can add some of that too.

The leftover must is pretty high in sugar, 26 BRIX, so that should sweeten quite nicely. And from everything I've read, true back-sweetening is adding some of the original must to the finished wine. Anything else is wine "sweetening." Not that sweetening is bad, but it is different from back-sweetening and changes the taste of the final product.

The wine is now sitting at about 15% abv (yes wild yeast will go that high), so I don't mind losing 1% (or even 2%) with back-sweetening if I achieve the taste profile I want.

I have run the numbers through a wine fortification calculator, and although this is in reverse, it will still work. I comes out that 1 cup of the must added to 1 gal of 15% wine will reduce my wine by 1%. I think one cup will make it plenty sweet and really brighten the berry flavors.

has anyone tried adding a little PGA or vodka to the back-sweetening must? I figured 2oz in one cup of must will keep the final product about the same.

When I backsweeten cider with frozen apple juice concentrate, I use about 175ML in 1.5L of cider. Your wine must probably has less sugar in it than FAJC, so I'm thinking you'll have to use way more than 1 cup to get the flavor adjustment you are looking for.

When I backsweeten cider with frozen apple juice concentrate, I use about 175ML in 1.5L of cider. Your wine must probably has less sugar in it than FAJC, so I'm thinking you'll have to use way more than 1 cup to get the flavor adjustment you are looking for.

whoa, that is a lot of added sweetness. I might use 2 cups per gal, but I cannot imagine more than that.

Yep, but FAJC is much sweeter than my left over must.

When I back sweeten cider I use 1/2 or as much as 1 cup per gallon, and we like a sweet cider. But since it is all a matter of personal taste, if that is the way you like it, go for it.

Latest posts

Back