How to keep track of recand results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penninck

Reaction score
I was wondering to hear what people use to keep track of different recipes and their outcome.

Currently I just use a "lab book" where I note all steps/measurements/pecularities/... and finally tasting remarks and a score.

But there's so much taht could make a difference. Even with the same recipe I sometimes get really different tastes. Almost never bad but I'm amazed at the variation that I find with only minor changes to the recipe.

Still it's daunting to try and figure out how some different things done 6 months ago could influence the taste after the brewing+maturing.

Lab book for me, copied into a Word doc for digital archiving. I know what you mean about the variations. Though if I read back through my log I'm kinda glad to see entries of "The best so far". It means I'm improving. Now that I'm branching out with experimental stuff I'm expecting to have a couple "This one sucks", or "Don't do this again".

I also use a lab book. I try to be very systematic, record everything, make updates every few days or so even in nothing much is happening. Record whatever variables you can. Big ones are temperature and any activity or changes. Make good tasting notes every time you sample or rack. I also made a spread sheet to track the timeline and to make sure I'm going through all the steps I want to do for each batch.

I've heard of programs that will track all of this but until I get to the point where I'm using automated, temperature controlled equipment with lots of precise measurements...nothing beats the notebook.

Besides, it is easier to write a couple quick notes when I'm drinking a glass or sampling than to use some program.

Back