How to keep keg faucet plug/brush clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my keg plug/brush is smelling like vinegar. I have soaked in oxyclean and pbw and it seems to not stay as clean as it did when new(it gets soiled much quicker). My kegerator is on my back porch and without plugs the various bugs of south Georgia would be crawling as far inside the faucet as they can get. So any suggestions on how to keep the plug clean or what type of plug to use that won't get as nasty? Taking the kegerator inside is not an option, just don't have the room. Thanks in advance!

I keep a small bowl or jar of starsan in the kegerator and rotate the brushes, throw used one in and swap out a soaked one. They are cheap enough for me to have several in rotation. Others seem to like the faucet covers, that might be an option too.

I tried using those faucet brushes as plugs, but they don't seal anything, they just wick up beer keeping it inside the faucet and then they let the air make it nasty.
I switched to faucet covers...

1621813975066.png

Cheers!

To be blunt - the brushes suck. They allow air along with mold and bacteria that really enjoy snacking on any residual beer inside the faucet.

Like day_tripper I switched to the faucet covers. Another good practice is to fill a spray bottle with cheap vodka or starsan and spray it up the faucet nozzle to eliminate as much beer and sanitize after each use, then seal with cover. My faucets stay clean for months until the keg kicks, unlike with the brushes which had black stuff coming out of the nozzle along with the beer after about a week - yuck.

To be blunt - the brushes suck. They allow air along with mold and bacteria that really enjoy snacking on any residual beer inside the faucet.

Like day_tripper I switched to the faucet covers. Another good practice is to fill a spray bottle with cheap vodka or starsan and spray it up the faucet nozzle to eliminate as much beer and sanitize after each use, then seal with cover. My faucets stay clean for months until the keg kicks, unlike with the brushes which had black stuff coming out of the nozzle along with the beer after about a week - yuck.
Thanks! I knew I would get a great answer from here. a set of covers have been ordered.

Latest posts

Back