How to increase the body of this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothrop

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at my own recipe, it turned out perfect as far as the bitterness and hop profile I was going for and the alcohol content but I would like to increase the body a bit and get a slightly darker color. Would the best option be to add a couple ounces of black malt to the steep?

This has been bottled for a little over a month and I only have one left that I promised to the father in law. :(

Hops:
Summit (60) 1oz
Simcoe (30) 1oz
Cascade (15) 1oz
Centennial (10) 1oz
Citra (dry) 2oz - started out too strong but mellowed over time

Extract:
3 lbs. Gold (60)
6 lbs. Gold (15)

Grain:
12 oz (.75 lb) Simpson's Medium Crystal
5 oz (.3125 lb) Belgian Aromatic
8 oz (.5 lb) Breiss Victory

Yeast:
British Ale II 1335

Primary three weeks, secondary three weeks, bottle two weeks before they started disappearing.

Higher mash temp (if you did partial or full mashes)
Wheat malt (if you did partial of full mashes)
Dextrine/Carapils/Carafoam malt
Maltrodextrin

The aromatic and victory are not doing much since they need to be mashed. Add a pound of 2-row to it and do a mini mash with the 2.5 lbs of grain. Use about 3.3 quarts of water and keep it at 150-155 F for 30 minutes and then sparge/rinse with a similar amount of 170 F water.

I think you will find that will make a huge difference.

add maltodextrin for more body and mouth feel
to change your beer to a darker color I would reccomend a dark crystal maybe crystal 120

Thanks for all the advice, it is an extract batch a partial mash may be an option. I remember reading about maltodextrin in the Palmer book and I'll check it again but when do you add it and does it add a lot of sweetness? I want to avoid that if at all possible.

What was your FG? 1335 isn't that high of an attenuator, but you could use an even lower attenuating yeast to help with the body on top of the listed grains.

The aromatic and victory are not doing much since they need to be mashed.

aromatic can convert itself

What was your FG? 1335 isn't that high of an attenuator, but you could use an even lower attenuating yeast to help with the body on top of the listed grains.

I didn't consider changing yeast strains, I liked the flavor so I thought changing the yeast would have too much effect. That's why I love the sport of homebrew, so many variables. What yeast do you use for ales?

As far as the Belgian and Victory I could be wrong but I think read somewhere they don't need to be mashed. I was just experimenting so I could be using too much or too little of something.

ya, changing the yeast may alter the flavors more than you want. any of the grains listed above would do the trick, changing the yeast just gives another way to do it too.

Latest posts

Back