How to hurt yourself and F*** up your batch simultaneously

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
I just had a ****ty brewing experience, and I had to come on here to vent about it.
I was brewing a Belgian golden strong, and all was going well. I was hitting my numbers, no boilovers, no problems whatsoever. So I get done with my 90 minute boil, and I have to carry my 5.5 gallons of 210 degree wort about 50 yards to my porch. So I enlist the help of my dad, and we both grab one handle on the kettle. about 3/4 of the way there I lose my grip on my handle and my kettle hits the ground, losing about 1.5 gallons of hot wort, some of which landed on my sandaled foot.
So now I have 2 problems, the burn on my foot, and my beer. And to make a long story short, after an extra hour, adding water and DME, Boiling for 15 minutes more, and icing down my foot I finally have 5 gallons of wort in the fermenter.
An interesting postscript to this story: I never drink while brewing.:eek:

I just had a horrible brew day as well. With no less then five boil overs. I didnt have one sip either. This is a little bit fishy i say.

Here's A little Inspiration. "Ouch that f'ing hurts" Do you own a wort chiller???

3761-Inspiration.jpg

Get yourself another hose. Link them together.

Sorry you got hurt! - Unwind if you can and grab some more ice and a few Tylenol.

Have you figured a way to incorporate your brewing mishap into the brew's name yet?

me either, anymore. Well.....I'll have a few, but I won't get smashed.

See post here......

Are you kidding me...if I got smashed and was the recipient of some dirty garage sex with the beer brewing in the background and then woke up to find the clean up was already done, I'd think I were in heaven!

+1 on taking up drinkin' & brewin'. You got to empty those bottles somehow.

Maybe get a longer hose so you dont have to carry that kettle, that is asking for trouble. Hope your foot is ok.

I agree on this. I have a keggle with my wort chiller hooked up right next to it. I even consider buying every now and then a pump so I don't have to pour hot strike/sparge water.

Get some more or longer hose and if possible move your boil spot closer to your water source.

Please don't carry boiling wort any more. - I also never wear flip-flops while brewing. I don't need a trip hazard while I'm carrying hot liquids.

This is what I did a couple years ago while moving a hot keggle. I layed that sucker right against my leg, but at least I didn't drop it.

HPIM2448.jpg

Please don't take offense; this is what I'd call it:

Cuvée de Connard

"Connard" is a tres péjoratif compound form meaning, loosely, "stupid bastard". ;)

With a name like that, every time you take a sip you'll be reminded to never, ever do anything dumb again! :D

Bob

P.S. SWMBO likes "Hot Foot Belgian Ale" best.

Please don't take offense; this is what I'd call it:

Cuvée de Connard

"Connard" is a tres péjoratif compound form meaning, loosely, "stupid bastard". ;)

With a name like that, every time you take a sip you'll be reminded to never, ever do anything dumb again! :D

Bob

P.S. SWMBO likes "Hot Foot Belgian Ale" best.

That sounds good if the OP can laugh about it today.

I made an amber that I dubbed ******* Amber because I was too lazy to fish out whole hops. I was lucky I didn't have a mess because they clogged up the carboy cap.

Oh the memories. I had a similar brew once. while dumping the mash tun, I managed to drop hot spent grain onto my sandaled foot. After some thing that looked like a rain dance(hot grain stuck in between my toes) I downed a couple and finished the brew. As hot as it gets here I never wear sandals while brewing anymore. Thanks for the memories and a quick laugh knowing I wasn't the only one. ;)

Back