How to handle CO2 canister?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I've kegged my beer, and I'm ready to hook up the CO2 and add some gas to the interior, but I'm a bit paranoid about doing it properly. I've looked around, but nowhere does it specify exactly how to connect the hoses and valves and in what order. I've hooked up plenty of CO2 at my job, but that was on big commercial setups, and this seems a little different. It is basically just twist the regulator onto the tank, then connect to the keg? I'm confused about how to control the flow of gas, and I don't want to accidentally blow all my CO2 that I had such a hassle buying in the first place.

1. Make sure your gas in tube is not covered by beer.
2. With the valve from the regulator closed, connect the gray ball lock connector to the keg.
3. Open the valve on the gas bottle, then open the valve under the regulator.
4. Adjust pressure to desired psi.

Okay, not to be totally stupid, but what controls flow and pressure? There is a flathead screw that I assumed controls the amount of pressure, and then a red valve which I assume controls flow. Parallel to the hose is open, and perpendicular to the hose is closed, right? I think I've got it pressurizing, but I'm not 100% sure, and I don't want to open the top to check and lose all the gas I've got in there so far.:confused:

And if it is?

-Joe

You might possibly get beer flowing back into the gas line, which can ruin your regulator if you don't have check valves. It can also mix into other beers if it travels far enough into the gas line and manifold, if applicable. You don't want your Imperial Russian Stout to flow into your Mild or Cream Ale. :eek:

You might possibly get beer flowing back into the gas line, which can ruin your regulator if you don't have check valves. It can also mix into other beers if it travels far enough into the gas line and manifold, if applicable. You don't want your Imperial Russian Stout to flow into your Mild or Cream Ale. :eek:
Right, I get that, but my question was more: what do you do? Dump the beer out?

-Joe

Okay, not to be totally stupid, but what controls flow and pressure? There is a flathead screw that I assumed controls the amount of pressure, and then a red valve which I assume controls flow. Parallel to the hose is open, and perpendicular to the hose is closed, right? I think I've got it pressurizing, but I'm not 100% sure, and I don't want to open the top to check and lose all the gas I've got in there so far.:confused:

There's a valve on the bottle and on on the regulator. Both should be open.

Make sure the nut on the set screw is loose on the regulator and turn the set screw clockwise to increase pressure, turn it counter clockwise to decrease.

If you put too much pressure on the keg, turn the set screw back, then vent the keg and start over.

-Joe

Use the BMBF to put a few 12oz bottles away for future swaps, contests, or door prizes from folks that really like your brew. I brew 5.75 G batches just to get a few six packs and 5 G into the keg.

There's a valve on the bottle and on on the regulator. Both should be open.

Make sure the nut on the set screw is loose on the regulator and turn the set screw clockwise to increase pressure, turn it counter clockwise to decrease.

If you put too much pressure on the keg, turn the set screw back, then vent the keg and start over.

I don't think my bottle has a valve. As for the regulator:

|....|
|-------|
|-------|
|....|

(switch to the side)

and

|.....|
|.||.|
|.||.|
|.||.|
|.....|

(switch in line with the hose)

Which is open? I assume the bottom one but it seemed like it was the top when I just checked it out.

-Joe

What I do before I hook my gas line to foreign keg, I will hook up the picnic tap and draw off a pint just for safety purposes of course.

Last year, I provided the gas at a party and I connected to a dark beer and watched it course though my clear gas lines like a horror movie.

I don't think my bottle has a valve.

Your bottle will have a valve. If it did not, gas would be flowing out of it all the time.

t_co2_cylinder5lbs.jpg

The black knob on top of the tank is the shutoff valve.

:mug:

It is a very small bottle. There is no knob. Just a threaded part at the top where the hose would screw on. It does have a little pin in the end of it; I suppose that's all the valve I get. It looks like this:
brass_eagle_24_ounce_co2_tank_reviews_451917_300.jpg

As far as controlling the flow rate, you don't. The tank valve should be opened all the way and back-seated. All that matters is the pressure.

Thanks for the replies. A little more clarification, since I'm apparently a little slow tonight.

mmb said:
Use the BMBF to put a few 12oz bottles away for future swaps, contests, or door prizes from folks that really like your brew
What I do before I hook my gas line to foreign keg, I will hook up the picnic tap and draw off a pint just for safety purposes of course.
If you haven't hooked up the CO2 line, what drives the beer out the BMBF/picnic tap?

Last year, I provided the gas at a party and I connected to a dark beer and watched it course though my clear gas lines like a horror movie.
If all of my gas lines end in check valves, this shouldn't be cause for alarm since the beer can't get into my regulator/other kegs, correct?

Can you tell my first kegging equipment is in transit to me? :)

Thanks again,

-Joe

Thanks for the replies. A little more clarification, since I'm apparently a little slow tonight.

If you haven't hooked up the CO2 line, what drives the beer out the BMBF/picnic tap?

If all of my gas lines end in check valves, this shouldn't be cause for alarm since the beer can't get into my regulator/other kegs, correct?

Can you tell my first kegging equipment is in transit to me? :)

Thanks again,

-Joe

If the check valves work, that's always a fear.

If you don't fill up over the gas tube, you won't have any problems. If you don't know what the level of the keg is and you're hooking up to it, bleed off the pressure and then hook up to it.

If you're filling your keg and you have some extra beer to siphon in, have a couple 22oz bottles and carbtabs ready to go.

Sorry if that's a little confusing. I've been enjoying Anchor Steam and Goose Island Summertime (Kolsh) tonight. :mug::drunk:

Latest posts

Back