How to get orange color (SRM 6-9) in Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
The style guidelines allow for some orange color in a Saison. I like the look of it. The thing is, I don't want to have to add 4 lbs of Munich malt (10 L) to get there.

I'm considering adding 2 ounces of Chocolate Malt to my somewhat typical grain bill for a Saison (Pilsen, 1 lb Wheat Malt, 1 lb Vienna Malt).

Has anyone done this?
What are the ramifications? Will I taste that chocolate malt?
Should I do something different?

Thank you!

I've brewed usurper's How Rye I am Am Saison in the recipe database with D-90 syrup which gave it a nice red hue. I used 2lb for 11 gal or about 8-9%. A little less would probably give you orange.

Thanks for the responses/suggestions guys!

The darkest Dark Munich I see (on Northern Brewer) is 15L.

Special B might be good, but I don't want to have to buy a pound just for a couple ounces. I have some chocolate malt sitting around.

The D-90 candy syrup is an interesting option. I was already planning on using the Golden candy syrup. What I'm concerned with is the description for the D-90: " D90™ is the most versatile dark candi syrup with a mild palate of dark chocolate, dark stone fruit, slight hint of coffee, toffee, and medium-toasted bread notes." I don't want those flavors in a Saison.

I guess 2 lbs of Dark Munich (15L) would do it (instead of the Vienna).

Some places like brewmasters warehouse sell by the ounce and offer flat rate shipping.

I made a saison recently with 8 oz of Caramunich that had a nice orange color.

The D-90 does add some flavor, although it was fairly subtle in this particular brew that is otherwise just pilsner with some rye malt. I would say light toffee/raisin, I didn't perceive any chocolate or coffee. Not as strong as special B IME. But yeah, if you want strictly color probably better to go with something else.

Or something like midnight wheat or carafa III. Enough to adjust the color a few points will not add any noticeable flavor. You'll probably only need an ounce in a 5 gal batch to raise it about 2-3srm.

I have the same question as the OP for a session IPA I'm planning on brewing.

Or something like midnight wheat or carafa III. Enough to adjust the color a few points will not add any noticeable flavor. You'll probably only need an ounce in a 5 gal batch to raise it about 2-3srm.

At what point would the dark grain be added? After the mash? Does it need to be crushed?

During the mash. Yes crush it. The ones I mentioned are huskless grains, so they will not give the astringent flavors of other roasted grains. But either way, in such small amounts, you won't get those flavors.

Latest posts

Back