How to get more involved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkali860

Reaction score
Cheers Everyone,
I've been big into craft beers for about a 1.5 years and have loved every minute of it. I have done beer trades, started home brewing, researched researched and researched as much beer stuff I can. I've read a few really good books about the history of beer, how to brew, and Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher (awesome book).
I love Homebrew Talk and when in doubt have turned to the forums for answers to my questions. So, I guess my question is, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get further involved in the craft beer community? Any personal experiences, advice or feedback would be great!! Would love to hear other peoples stories.

Thanks and Cheers!!

Joey

Joey I wondered the same thing myself.
I haven't been brewing as long as you have. But I wish my town had some kind of brew club.. If yours does ,That's what I would do.
There are some clubs in my state and I had the pleasure of hanging out with a brew club ,But it's about 75-100 miles from my town.. Everyone was really friendly and I don't remember any snobs or know it alls.. They all shared pictures of their set ups at home and some were rather mind blowing.. And some even gave me links to read up on, even a few that even led to this forum.. They shared brews and recipes. and tips and tricks etc.. Man I wish I could have that here at home..

Thanks for the response man. That's a really good tip, never looked into that before but to my surprise there is a club about 15 minutes away from where I live.
Hopefully that all falls into place. Thanks for the tip!

I travel extensively for business. Hang out as much as I reasonably can in brewpubs and breweries. Meet great servers, brewers, and brew fanatics. I probably end up chatting someone up over 50% of the time I find a new place.

Nice, that's another good suggestion. I am not currently traveling but would like to get to more brewpubs regardless. Thanks!

Are you in a homebrew club? If no, join one. If yes, run for office of the club (and make sure you are qualified beforehand, of course)!

I am the president of a homebrew club of about 70 and have met all of the who's who of my thriving craft beer community (Tampa Bay area, FL). You'll find that MOST of the big names in any craft beer community are volunteer that serve for the love, not the $$$, so if you want to be them, you'll need to be the same!

I also recently took and passed the BJCP Judge exam, and that is a whole other level of involvement in the community! I judge my first event Friday, BFBC, the largest competition in FL!

Brew Clubs are a great way to get involved. You can also get to know the people that work at your LHBS. One last thing I can think of is if there are any compititions or events in your area is a good way to find people with your same intrests.

Ok. This is the last thing I can think of working part time or volunteer at a craft brewery in your area.

Back