How to get bubblegum from Wyeast 3638? Experiences with various temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched these forums and looked all over the internet trying to figure out what the effects of different fermentation temps on 3638 contribute to a beer. But I haven't gotten anything definitive. I'm looking for bubblegum emphasis with some banana and a little bit of other interesting fruits. Right now I'm thinking of pitching a half quart starter ~ 30 billion cells (Beersmith) into a 5 gallon batch and fermenting around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Has anyone done this?

What are you experiences with this yeast? It appears there's more info on 3068 because it's more popular.

If anyone is interested, this beer is extract and somewhat...very experimental. I'll be throwing in Citra and racking onto organic frozen/pureed Paw Paws that my uncle grew.:drunk:

If you ferment it between 70-75 you'll get what you want.

In general, the higher the temp the more pronounced flavors the yeast will produce and that goes for most strains as far as esters and phenols

Sent from the Commune

Using a higher-kilned base malt will reduce the clove/phenol characteristics and allow other flavors (i.e., banana/fruit) to take the forefront. Also consider varying your pitch rate.

I still get plenty of juicy fruit under 70F. Over 70F I find it to be a hot mess.

Haha. Yes. I want bubblegum. And paw paw. And Citra (and Saaz). Like I said it's pretty experimental. I just wanna see what happens. I want something funky, interesting and fruity. I'm considering splitting the batch in half and adding some critters to half of it.

So right now I'm considering leaving it at around closet temp at 68-70F.

i've gotten bubblegum from 3638 by fermenting w ambient at 68. the wort was in the 70-75 range. overall it was a decent wheat. this yeast really gets going and heats up. i pitched a swelled smack pack with no starter.

i've gotten bubblegum from 3638 by fermenting w ambient at 68. the wort was in the 70-75 range. overall it was a decent wheat. this yeast really gets going and heats up. i pitched a swelled smack pack with no starter.

It really does heat up! My carboy's thermometer read about 72F and had a vigorous fermentation. The hefe turned out great with lots of bubblegum and banana and a little clove.

How did the Paw Paw part turn out? I collected a bunch last season, but they never made it the fermentor. This year I plan on doing something very similar to what you have going on. The Paw Paw grove near me is putting out leaves and getting me pumped for the fall. Let me know how it all goes and any adjustment you would make.

I loved it, personally. The only thing is apparently the phenols from the paw paws make them gushers after they sit for a couple weeks. You have to cover the bitterness or tartness of the paw paw with lots of fruitiness. The paw paw adds its own fruitiness too if you do it right :)

Latest posts

Back