How to get accurate hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richla

Reaction score
Hi Gang,
Complete rookie, here. I am working on my second Master Vintner's cabernet kit.
I made a couple of mistakes on my first one, but still managed to make pretty good wine.

I am MUCH more comfortable the second time, even bought the heater to wrap outside the carboy, keeping my wine at seventy two degrees.
And it is bubbling like crazy!

Here is my question: I was getting a strange hydrometer reading after a week of what looked like excellent fermentation. I am gently lowering the hydrometer into the test jar. Getting a reading of 1.020 Seemed low to me.

For fun, I lowered the hydrometer into the carboy, and watched it ever so slowly raise itself up a bit above 1.040 That made more sense.

I went back to the test jar, still getting the low reading.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong, how long does it take for the hydrometer to stabilize, and are some hydrometers better than other?

Thank you,
Rich

Assuming no/few bubbles in sample beaker...I let mine sit for about 30secs. I Read it at the bottom of the meniscus [emoji111] (If lots of bubbles...let em dissipate prior to doing your reading.)

What was your OG?

I was getting a strange hydrometer reading after a week of what looked like excellent fermentation. I am gently lowering the hydrometer into the test jar. Getting a reading of 1.020 Seemed low to me.

just as a thought, you do know it goes down not up? the ABV scale is a subtraction one.....

just as a thought, you do know it goes down not up? the ABV scale is a subtraction one.....
Let me clarify: putting the hydrometer in the carboy and letting it float for a couple of minutes, allowed the hydrometer to raise up in the wine, giving me a reading that seemed reasonable at the end of one week fermentation.
Testing the wine in the test tube, the hydrometer seemed to sit in the wine, much lower.

I am trying to figure out why the readings are not consistent, my hydrometer seems to be acting strange.

Let me clarify: putting the hydrometer in the carboy and letting it float for a couple of minutes, allowed the hydrometer to raise up in the wine, giving me a reading that seemed reasonable at the end of one week fermentation.
Testing the wine in the test tube, the hydrometer seemed to sit in the wine, much lower.

I am trying to figure out why the readings are not consistent, my hydrometer seems to be acting strange.
Carboy probably has alot of C02 in suspension. Perhaps try it after vigorously aerating the must.

I believe your meter should read ZERO in water.... that would be a good start to see if your meter is bad or out of calibration. (Remember they are calibrated to a temp) So your test tube is reading at a lower gravity by 20 points. Is that because your draw was clean and your bucket or carboy has a lot of matter/pulp in it?
I usually go at least 7 up to 10 days with 2 stirs a day to degas. Before even thinking about a transfer. Where it can continue to attenuate if need be and or clear.

I believe your meter should read ZERO in water.... that would be a good start to see if your meter is bad or out of calibration. (Remember they are calibrated to a temp) So your test tube is reading at a lower gravity by 20 points. Is that because your draw was clean and your bucket or carboy has a lot of matter/pulp in it?
I usually go at least 7 up to 10 days with 2 stirs a day to degas. Before even thinking about a transfer. Where it can continue to attenuate if need be and or clear.

Great idea. I tried it. Looks to be calibrated correctly. I think the active bubbling was pushing it up. Thanks again.

In a fermented beer, at least, in the sample jar, with it fairly clear, I can easily see the small bubbles that form when I put in the hydrometer, which will float the instrument higher giving an untrue higher SG. Hence the spinning, or pouring the sample back and forth several times to degas prior to attempting measurement.

In a fermented beer, at least, in the sample jar, with it fairly clear, I can easily see the small bubbles that form when I put in the hydrometer, which will float the instrument higher giving an untrue higher SG. Hence the spinning, or pouring the sample back and forth several times to degas prior to attempting measurement.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back