How to (fully) sanitary filter sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I've got an imperial stout that was infected. I thought the beer was salvagable as a sour stout. It's actually quite tasty, though needing some adjustment to the pH.

I will be kegging it, but if I decide later to counter-pressure fill some bottles I want to know I won't have issues with bottle bombs. I know I can keep the bottles cold to reduce risk, but I'm really looking to find a way to stop whatever the souring agent is (my guess is lacto).

I've read that k-meta does not stop bacteria, but only shrinks it allowing growth to begin again in a relatively short period of time.

I've also read that a filter like this is only somewhat effective in removing bacteria and wild yeast: http://www.morebeer.com/products/wine-filter-pad-5-micron-pack.html

Is there a way to get closer to 100% without pasteurizing? Maybe soak the filter pads in Starsan?

Back