How to Count Large Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broombrew

Reaction score
Searched a bit and didn't find any discussion directly related to my question. So I just brewed my first 10 gallon batch. Up until now, they'd all been 5 gallon batches. Brewed a fairly simple porter, then split it into two 6 gallon carboys. The one I left as is and the other I added a pot of coffee to. Up until now, my journal of recipes has had a batch number at the top, just so I could keep track of how many I'd done.

I'm sure other people count how many they've done, and if so, do you count large batches as one since I did only one boil? Or as multiple since they are fermenting separately and will end up being labeled differently. Not really that important to the brewing process itself, I was just curious what others did. Maybe I should just keep track by gallons now. :mug:

TL/DR: Record 10 gal batches as 2 or 1?

broombrew said:
Searched a bit and didn't find any discussion directly related to my question. So I just brewed my first 10 gallon batch. Up until now, they'd all been 5 gallon batches. Brewed a fairly simple porter, then split it into two 6 gallon carboys. The one I left as is and the other I added a pot of coffee to. Up until now, my journal of recipes has had a batch number at the top, just so I could keep track of how many I'd done.

I'm sure other people count how many they've done, and if so, do you count large batches as one since I did only one boil? Or as multiple since they are fermenting separately and will end up being labeled differently. Not really that important to the brewing process itself, I was just curious what others did. Maybe I should just keep track by gallons now. :mug:

TL/DR: Record 10 gal batches as 2 or 1?

I keep them as one batch but list the specifics of each half in my notes differentiating the two halves

I gave up keeping track. It doesn't matter how much I've brewed, it only matters how many kegs I have full. Most of time I don't even record my reciples anymore. They are all somewhere in my junk drawer scribbled on a notepad if I really want to track down an old brew.

I've given up keeping records too. Back when I gave a crap, split batches that have significant variables would be batch 56A and 56B.

That's how I'd do it. Designate them so that they're the same batch, but note the split and give yourself a way to identify both variants.

I do a lot of 10 gallon batches that get split into 2 different beers. My records are 3 lists.

81 -combined recipe used for brewday
81a - variations used for batch a
81b - variations used for batch b

Back